Brandi Leigh's Reviews > The Fountainhead

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

F 50x66
Dec 21, 2009

Read in December, 2009

Thought it was so nice, I had to read it twice.

Nearly every character was crazy. Dominque being the worst. And one of the best stone cold foxy bitches in literature. Watching the crazies interact is entertaining.

I would liken this to the screwtape letters. (Lewis and Rand are both rolling in their graves about now). You don't have to buy into religion or
philosophy to read it. Nor to appriciate each author's eloquence in showing some major human faults. The book is all about extremes and should be taken as surreal. I don't believe there is a real Toohey any more than there is Wormtounge. However, elements of their characters live on in people I know, and consequently avoid.

I've get something out each time I read it. The subtilties include things like men ought have joy, and how much Keating knows he ought to live a better life. Also Roark is shown to be near perfect, which is ridiculous. We should view him as an example and not as an impossibilty.

It's a good read containing strong language on how we ought to love ourselves first. Everything else comes second.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fountainhead.