Kara-karina's Reviews > One Death at a Time

One Death at a Time by Thomas M. Hewlett

bookshelves: for-review

One Death at a Time reminded me of Celestial Blues series by Vicki Pettersson. It's got the same noir paranormal mystery vibe but at the same time it has unique twists in world-building that make it very memorable.

A tired, jaded PI Jack Strayhorn has been a vampire for almost a century, and qualifies his need for blood as an addiction. Apparently, every new vampire is like an alcoholic with all the perks of that condition - blackouts, rages, inability to function without a drink, etc., and unless a newbie is found by an older vamp and introduced into the program, they die really fast either by their own hand or in a massive police shoot out.

According to vampire mythology, Alcoholic Anonymous was created by a vamp, and it saved all of them. Now under the guise of AA each town has a group of vamps regularly meeting and supporting each other so as not to slide deeper into their addiction. Hence the tongue-in-cheek name of the series Twelve Stakes.

Jack has a strong voice, and we see the world and his investigation through his eyes and from his inner monologue. What starts as a simple case entangles him into a supernatural war and soon we can't escape Fae politicians and an MC of bad boys werewolves mixed with a new potent and a very destructive drug.

I really enjoyed the voice and the atmosphere of One Death at a Time, and hope to see more books in this series soon. Recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Death at a Time.

January 8, 2014 – Shelved