Erma Odrach's Reviews > Ménage à 20, Tales with a hook

Ménage à 20, Tales with a hook by Carlos J. Cortes

bookshelves: goodreads-author

Twenty Goodreads authors got together to present Ménage à 20, Tales with a Hook, a collection of very diverse short stories and from different parts of the world. This is a great idea on the part of Goodreads members, and quite an engaging and adventurous read:

An angry and controlling husband redeems himself, then commits the ultimate act of love in "Foundation"; a lonely and neglected housewife tries to make her life more meaningful with a string of affairs in "Lonely"; a senior citizen re-enters the workforce and encounters moments of embarrassment and confrontation in "Reconstructing Emily".

I liked some stories in this collection more than others, but some I didn't like at all. But for the ones I really liked, 5-star. Am looking forward to the next collaboration by Goodreads authors. Kudos to editor, Carlos J. Cortes!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ménage à 20, Tales with a hook.

December 21, 2009 – Shelved
December 21, 2009 – Shelved as: goodreads-author
April 4, 2010 – Started Reading
April 5, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee Thanks Erma, a very honest review. Of course being that it has many genres and styles, it's expected that some stories wouldn't appeal. I'm glad you liked it overall. We had a lot of fun compiling it and working together on the last tale.

Erma Odrach It was a great collaboration. I agree, it's hard to meet everyone's tastes with so many authors. Did you or anyone try submitting to the Goodreads monthly newsletter? They just might be interested in doing a review.

message 3: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee We did more than once, with no reply. That's all right. We're getting great reviews and thoughts from readers (one star and five stars) and I'm happy with that. It was a great learning experience, from both the writing side of it to the marketing. I learned to step outside my comfort zone in both and it's made a huge difference for me.

We'll try the newsletter again. Perhaps soon someone will answer.

Erma Odrach They're probably swamped with submissions.
Just thought because the authors are all members of Goodreads (it's unique), they'd give it extra attention. Really enjoyed 'Lonely' -- it went off in a direction I didn't quite expect. The writing flowed very easily and believably and kept me gripped. Very nice.

message 5: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee Thank you. That was the one that was completely outside what I'd usually write before Menage. It was fun. Glad I got you with the twist.