Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Truth

Truth by Julia Karr

I really enjoyed XVI, so when I noticed the sequel was available at the local library I put it on hold.

Nina might know the truth about her father--that he's alive--but life isn't getting any easier. Her grandfather's been arrested, her grandmother has a heart attack, and her boyfriend seems to be missing when she needs him the most. Not to mention that they get evicted.

At least her friend's family has offered Nina and her younger sister a place to stay. Determined to make a difference in a world where young girls are sexualised and the Media calls the shots, she wants to help an old friend. And joins the Sisterhood, hoping to make a difference.

A lot of stuff happens in this book, and most of it is bad. The world Nina lives in is bleak and definitely not female friendly. Some of the events are very disturbing, but true to the worldbuilding.

There are also relationship troubles for her to deal with. When her relationship with Sal starts to feel more like a title than a real thing and Wei's brother Chris starts to show an interest in her, she starts getting confused.

I enjoyed this instalment and am looking forward to the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truth.

January 8, 2014 – Shelved
January 8, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 14, 2014 – Started Reading
January 14, 2014 –
page 46
15.38% "I've been looking forward to reading this sequel, and it's already sucked me in. I really enjoy these books, but the dystopian world is so disturbing. Makes me angry because girls are treated/used like useless propety. :/"
January 15, 2014 –
page 93
31.1% "Poor Nina. Everything is falling apart again. :("
January 16, 2014 –
page 200
66.89% "I'm really enjoying this book, but I have a feeling things aren't going to end well. :/"
January 18, 2014 – Finished Reading