Maria Elmvang's Reviews > The Girl in a Swing

The Girl in a Swing by Richard Adams

Dec 21, 2009

bookshelves: 4-stars, not-owned, suspense, 2010
Read in January, 2010

I hardly know how to describe this book. It started out very slowly, and I was wondering if I'd have the patience to work my way through it, but suddenly it captured me completely, and I read the last 200 pages in one sitting.

It is so very, very different from Watership Down that it's almost hard to believe it was written by the same author. Instead of being a social commentary, The Girl in a Swing touches upon the supernatural while tying it up to Christian theology.

I'd been warned that the book was depressing, but I actually didn't find it so. It was sad to be sure, and both troubling and disturbing, but I'm obviously no good at figuring out clues, so it took me almost to the very end, to figure out what the secret was - and suddenly, a lot of the earlier theological debates made sense.

A lot of the book takes place in Copenhagen, Denmark, and I have to admit to being tickled pink by all the references to places I know, and even all the Danish words being thrown in there - that's very rare to see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in a Swing.

Quotes Maria Liked

Richard Adams
“Well,' replied Tony, 'I think [Christ's] line would be the same as it always has been - that [sex without marriage] is understandable and forgivable, but wrong to the extent that it's less than the best.”
Richard Adams, The Girl in a Swing

12/31/2009 page 95
23.99% "I'm much amused by all the Danish references :-D"
03/26/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Trine (new)

Trine I wouldn't recommend this book. I have owned it, read it and sold the book, so that should show what I mean about it. It is years since I read it, so fortunately I have forgotten most, but clearly remember that it has a very depressing atmosphere.

Sarah Rudkin I have read this book so many times that my copy fell to bits and I had to buy another!!

Doug Leveridge I did the same, barely looking up for the last 200 pages. Riveting. moving and very creepy, now rereading 33 yes later!