Harris's Reviews > Adventure Time Mathematical Edition Vol. 1

Adventure Time Mathematical Edition Vol. 1 by Ryan North

112040

bookshelves: comics, fantasy, library-book, adventure-time, usa, fiction

On the advice of a friend, I recently watched the First Season of Adventure Time on Netflix and I became quite engrossed in the show, I must admit, soon obtaining as many of the DVDs as I could. I guess I have a soft spot for whacky kids cartoons with inside jokes for adults, it might be a side effect of growing up with the likes of Freakazoid and Rocko’s Modern Life, but anyway, the series’ weirdly retro post-apocalyptic fantasy drew me in pretty quickly with its nostalgic non sequitur humor and geeky references. Seeing the comic at the library, I thought I might check it out, too.

It is amazing how well Ryan North (of Dinosaur Comics fame) and artists Branden Lamb and Shelli Paroline captured the kinetic, quirky, childlike imagination of the Adventure Time world and characters from animation to static panels. For anyone who has seen the show, you can imagine the superb voice acting work in each of the character’s speech bubbles. An original story involving the series’ most frightening villain, the Lich, Finn, Jake, Princess Bubblegum, and even a few new characters band together to stop his destroy the world plot, and much witty banter and quirky situations result. I particularly enjoyed the short interlude starring Beemo, who might just be my favorite character, an eccentric robot who seems to be nothing more than a sentient Game Boy with arms and legs. Weird stuff, but very entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adventure Time Mathematical Edition Vol. 1.

Started Reading