Liz Janet's Reviews > The Divine Comedy: Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso

The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri

bookshelves: favourites

“Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.
Justice the founder of my fabric moved:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I shall endure.
All hope abandon, ye who enter here.”

There is no much one can say about this marvelous poem that has not been said before. One of the greatest epic poems to have been written, ever. The book is divided into three books, Inferno, meaning hell; Purgatorio, meaning purgatory; and Paradiso, meaning heaven. My favourite has always been Inferno, but Paradiso is highly underrated, as underrated as this brilliant work can possibly be.

“The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream.”

description

This is a basic view of the world as Dante knew it back in the 14th century, a human’s soul journey through hell, purgatory, and heaven.

This poem mixes religion and science, everything from the most basic Christian Dogma to early Islamic astronomy, with a lot of his political views mixed in. At the time this work was being written, Dante was living in exile, he uses this work as a way to show his enemies and what he thought not only of figures of his time, but of historical figures in general, including Plato, Aesop, Alejandro Magno, Mary as well as legendary people, such as Abel, Diana, and Isaac. If one does not wish to read this simply because it is a long poem, read it for the historical view, so many interesting characters for history buffs. My favourite thing perhaps, was how he used his work to slam the people that harmed him, including Pope Boniface VIII, the man who exiled him. Basically, apart from this being a religious work, and a historical work, it is a big “F-you” to everyone he disagreed with him, or harmed him in any way, those parts were hilarious to me. I have a horrible sense of humour.

description

Basically, read this poem, there is: Satan, angels, the circles of hell, philosophers in Tartarus, a reference to the Muslim conquest as “Dragon,” “the bird of Jove” attacking a church, a bunch of symbolism for “Reason,” unnecessary invocation of the Muses, Tristan and Isolde, many interesting murderers and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Divine Comedy.

Finished Reading
January 7, 2014 – Shelved
April 5, 2018 – Shelved as: favourites

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Yes. I should read this again. I read it as a teenager because u was curious. I bet I would get more of the politics now. I remember liking hell the best.

Liz Janet Hell is my favourite as well!

Giulia  I am always happy to see people from all over the world appreciate one of the finest literary works of my country. I mean to reread at least the Inferno sometime soon... It doesn't matter how many times I reread these books, I always find them breathtaking.

Liz Janet And to read them in Italian is a gift. I don't have a copy in it anymore, nor in Spanish, which are my two favourite editions, but the English one I have is beautiful too. (although I've read some horrible translations)

Giulia  Liz Janet wrote: "And to read them in Italian is a gift. I don't have a copy in it anymore, nor in Spanish, which are my two favourite editions, but the English one I have is beautiful too. (although I've read some ..."

I bet! Though translating Dante must be one hell of an hard job. I actually have at least 5 copies of each book scattered around my place, which is quite embarrassing to admit. x)

Liz Janet I bet! I need to get my hand on copies of those editions.

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige  Bookdragon I swear, you guys are helluva awesome. I can't even get past the first stanza..

Liz Janet Maybe someday you will finish it! But don't feel pressured, but it is an awesome book. Plus don't feel bad about not finishing books, there's nothing wrong with that.

message 9: by Paige (new)

Paige  Bookdragon Liz Janet wrote: "Maybe someday you will finish it! But don't feel pressured, but it is an awesome book. Plus don't feel bad about not finishing books, there's nothing wrong with that."

maybe I wasn't feeling it then bcause it's for school? Hahaha. Someday, I;m going to read this and finish it ♥

Fernando Excellent review...

Liz Janet Fernando wrote: "Excellent review..."

Thank you!

message 12: by Alexis Bryant (new)

Alexis Bryant Alexis

message 13: by Alexis Bryant (new)

Alexis Bryant Alexis

message 14: by Alexis Bryant (new)

Alexis Bryant Alexis Sanchez has

message 15: by Alexis Bryant (new)

Alexis Bryant When I have an 9years!the kids,which I was just trying out to dinner and the Really,and 9years!the first thing for 9years!the