Laura's Reviews > Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

bookshelves: favorites, ya, realistic-fiction

This novel was truly a page turner. I literally stayed up until 5 in the morning to finish reading it (luckily I didn't have to get up early). I loved the alternating points of view. They added so much dimension to the story and I felt like I really understood all sides of August's story - except maybe his parents.

Now for August himself. He was such an enthralling character and the things he did made me reflect on my own life and actions. The last line was just perfect "She bent down and whispered in my ear. 'You really are a wonder, Auggie. You are a wonder.'" (310 Palacio). The way he handled everything including his horrible luck in the gene pool really moved me. He was only in the 5th grade and he already had to experience things many people don't have to deal with their whole lives. He knows both sides of the coin of the human existence and truly doesn't blame people for how they treat him. He only gets visibly upset when people aren't truthful with him which is a trait I admire.

I really liked how Palacio didn't try and sugar-coat anything. Like with Olivia, she said it how it is. This is a truly original novel that doesn't flinch in the face of truth. The book could make the world a better place (I know I'm so dramatic!) :D

Five big stars for this book with no reservations or complaints at all!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

Quotes Laura Liked

“My mom smiled at me. Her smile kind of hugged me.”
R.J. Palacio, Wonder

January 7, 2014 – Started Reading
January 7, 2014 – Shelved
January 20, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
January 20, 2014 – Finished Reading
March 16, 2014 – Shelved as: ya
March 16, 2014 – Shelved as: realistic-fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Cole This book has an iconic cover because though I never remember the title or author I always recognize this cover. And like a lot of great covers, it's actually quite simple :-)

Laura Kevin wrote: "This book has an iconic cover because though I never remember the title or author I always recognize this cover. And like a lot of great covers, it's actually quite simple :-)"

Me too! I don't like it when a cover gets too overcomplicated... it's best just keeping it simple :)