Rachel McCready-Flora's Reviews > Songs of Willow Frost

Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford

Jan 07, 2014

it was ok

I didn't really like Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, so I'm not sure why I picked this up; maybe I thought that, because it had such great reviews, it might be better? Not so much.

I've concluded that I just don't care for Jamie Ford's writing. While I have immense respect for anyone that can write a book and then have the guts to go get it published, I don't think he is able to successfully narrate for a child, or represent how a child would think, act, or talk. Unfortunately, this perspective constitutes the majority of both "Songs of Willow Frost" and "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet."

I also felt the writing was incredibly spotty, and in some sections it seemed like some of the story had been hastily added in, or a chunk removed so that it didn't flow well overall. Much like "Hotel," I wasn't able to engage with the plot until the last 50-75 pages.

Things I thought Ford did well in this novel: the way he relayed the vast inequalities of the social service systems in place in the 1920s and 30s, as well as the racial inequality that Chinese-Americans faced, that, while still problematic today, was so much worse then; the portrayal of the blossoming film industry (though some of this seemed forced as well?); and showing what Seattle might have looked like during the Great Depression.

If you like "Hotel," you'll probably like this too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs of Willow Frost.

January 7, 2014 – Started Reading
January 7, 2014 – Shelved
January 7, 2014 –
page 75
22.66% "... So unimpressed so far."
January 14, 2014 – Finished Reading