Lynda's Reviews > Embers at Dawn

Embers at Dawn by J.C. Loen

bookshelves: goodreads-first-reads

The book cover was beautiful, intriguing, and pleasing to the eye. Matte suede-like texture and the font style was perfect for a western book.

The first paragraph grabbed my attention quickly and by the end of the first chapter the lead female character’s qualities became known. Lee was a multi-faceted woman surrounded with softness and harshness giving her great depth and an uncommon attraction. The author created a strong commanding character unlike any female character I have ever read…my curiosity was piqued to learn more about her. Not a perfect heroine but heroine-like in many ways – very interesting character development.

Just the right amount of dramatic detailed wording was employed throughout the pages provided a clear image the author wished to portray. Subtle satire, twists, and western slang kept the reading pace constant to the end. The book was laid out well with easy to read font style and short chapters. Unique descriptive word choices intrigued me giving my dictionary further usage. J.C. Loen used violence and abuse as expected in western books; however, do not assume “Embers At Dawn” will be softened or watered down in the grittiness. The bold, in-your-face violent actions in this book may not be to everybody’s taste. The author wrote an ending leaving many questions unanswered building anticipation for the next book in this series. Not usually a reader of westerns, I was pleasantly surprised.

I received “Embers At Dawn” free from Goodreads First Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embers at Dawn.

January 7, 2014 – Shelved