James Carmichael's Reviews > Pop Apocalypse: A Possible Satire

Pop Apocalypse by Lee Konstantinou

Dec 20, 2009

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in December, 2009

I don't know if "science fiction" is exactly right for this; it calls itself a satire but that doesn't feel 100% right either.

This book is really, really fun; it's zippily written and a quick read and a smart read and just very enjoyable.

I really enjoyed the we're-almost-there-! world of the novel, and Konstantinou has a very easy to read, kinda demotic narrative voice. It's also actually funny, which I find unusual in books that are ostensibly funny, although it got less funny to me as the story progressed.

I was driven reasonably crazy by the protagonist, and that probably held me back from fully engaging the story. In general I actually wasn't 100% sure how much it wanted my engagement in that way: the characters and motivations were given enough (skillful) attention that I felt it did, but then some things (like the protagonist, and the (very fun) outlandish of some of the plot and world constructions) made me feel that it was either deliberately spurning my real emotional connection or that we wanted different things out of the relationship.

But that's too many words of critique about a very, very cool book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pop Apocalypse.