Nancy McKibben's Reviews > A Week in Winter

A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed
Recommended for: Maeve Binchy fans; readers who like Ireland, books about relationships

A Week in Winter
By Maeve Binchy

Settling down with a Maeve Binchy novel is like putting on a well-loved cardigan on a chilly day; you know it will keep you warm and cozy, and you know it will fit. No surprises, but in a good way.

A Week in Winter is set on the west coast of Ireland, and Binchy works her usual magic, introducing her cast of characters, many of whom have fought against the odds and won; placing them in an enchanting setting, in this case, an Irish manor house turned hotel; and linking them together in surprising ways.

A master of the art of character, Binchy creates people who interest and engage us, and she believably shows us how they change in the course of her novels, which is one of the reasons readers love her. I was surprised and saddened to learn that A Week in Winter is Binchy’s last novel; she died in 2012 at age 72, shortly after finishing this book.

Binchy wrote many, many novels. Some of them, like Firefly Summer and Light a Penny Candle are dramatic and epic in scale. Others, like A Week in Winter, simply interweave the lives of a number of ordinary people and create magic from the everyday, which is not, after all, such a simple trick. This was not my favorite of her works, but I would recommend any of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Week in Winter.

January 4, 2014 – Started Reading