Brooke Hargett's Reviews > The Goldfinch

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Jan 06, 2014

I have "book hangover" from this book! I don't know how to move on. I feel like the characters are still somewhere, doing something.

I adored this book. In fact I can't say enough good things about it. I absolutely got lost in the world that Donna Tartt created- in the characters and their lives. The depth of this book is beautiful and haunting. Theo loses his mother in a horrific accident at a museum. Propelled by the dying wish of a man trapped with him in the accident, and obsessed with a stolen painting that reminds him of his mom, Theo gets tangled in a complex world of friendship, deceit, survival and redemption.

This is the first Donna Tartt book I've ever read and I have to say it was the best example of both physical description and grounding characters to their scenes I've ever read. I want to read everything she's ever written!

I LOVED Theo's friend Boris. He was such a complex character. I have no idea how she came up with him because he was so real to me.

I'm a huge Donna Tartt fan! I hope she doesn't wait as long to release another book!!!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goldfinch.

October 27, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read (ebook Edition)
October 27, 2013 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
January 6, 2014 – Started Reading
January 6, 2014 – Shelved
February 10, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Ohh, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one!

message 2: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke Hargett I'm liking it a lot so far!!

message 3: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Hum, sounds like it would have made a good book club book dang it! There's always next year...

message 4: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke Hargett It would have! :( :( Well some of it may have been a little much for some of them, but I loved it!!