Liralen's Reviews > Love and Haight

Love and Haight by Susan  Carlton

Jan 06, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, ya, peace-out, z-2015, reviewed

San Francisco, the tail end of 1971. Chloe's on a road trip with her best friend, MJ, but Chloe has plans beyond a fun winter break: California is one of the few places where she can legally get an abortion.

I read it because of the timing -- am still going through a 60s and 70s phase, thanks in no small part to Left on Pearl. For Chloe, though, the 70s aren't a time of revolution and protests and action (at least, not so far...she has most of the 70s left). Instead she's facing a difficult situation rendered all the more difficult by the fact that her options are so limited.

I'm torn on this one, to be honest, because while I enjoyed it a great deal and think it (or the author) managed to do what it (she) set out to, I would have loved...more. At its crux it's a pretty standard YA novel, just with the 70s (a few years too late for the summer of love) and a teenage pregnancy thrown in. That's not a bad thing, but it feels like this could have been so much more. Not sure if that's fair to wish for, though, since all that more probably would have turned it into a very different book.

There's great complexity in the characters' thoughts, at any rate; nobody -- least of all Chloe -- is 100 percent sure that she's on the right path, but ultimately the secondary characters are able to support Chloe when she makes the decision she does. Didn't get as deep into it as I would have liked, but then, it's a pretty short book.

One of these days I'll find a book that feels so quintessentially late-60s-early-70s in a wildly over-the-top, flower-power, unrealistic way that I'll be able to stop looking
grumble that it's unrealistic and keep looking
have to admit that I'll never be satisfied
figure out how to finish that sentence.

Brief discussion of this and Every Little Thing in the World here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Haight.

Finished Reading