Keith's Reviews > Magical and Philosophical Commentaries on The Book of the Law

Magical and Philosophical Commentaries on The Book of the Law by Aleister Crowley

Dec 18, 2009

bookshelves: _on-hand, spirituality, philosophy, thelema, will, currently-reading, z-storage, zz-box-sm1
Recommended to Keith by: Carl Brick
I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magical and Philosophical Commentaries on The Book of the Law.

Quotes Keith Liked

Aleister Crowley
“It is the mark of the mind untrained to take its own processes as valid for all men, and its own judgments for absolute truth.”

Aleister Crowley
“The Way of Mastery is to break all the rules—but you have to know them perfectly before you can do this; otherwise you are not in a position to transcend them.”

Aleister Crowley
“There is a good deal of the Nietzschean standpoint in this verse. It is the evolutionary and natural view. Of what use is it to perpetuate the misery of tuberculosis, and such diseases, as we now do? Nature's way is to weed out the weak. This is the most merciful way, too. At present all the strong are being damaged, and their progress hindered by the dead weight of the weak limbs and the missing limbs, the diseased limbs and the atrophied limbs. The Christians to the Lions!

Our humanitarianism, which is the syphilis of the mind, acts on the basis of the lie that the King must die. The King is beyond death; it is merely a pool where he dips for refreshment. We must therefore go back to Spartan ideas of education; and the worst enemies of humanity are those who wish, under the pretext of compassion, to continue its ills through the generations. The Christians to the Lions!

Let weak and wry productions go back into the melting-pot, as is done with flawed steel castings. Death will purge, reincarnation make whole, these errors and abortions. Nature herself may be trusted to do this, if only we will leave her alone. But what of those who, physically fitted to live, are tainted with rottenness of soul, cancerous with the sin-complex? For the third time I answer: The Christians to the Lions!

Hadit calls himself the Star, the Star being the Unit of the Macrocosm; and the Snake, the Snake being the symbol of Going or Love, the Dwarf-Soul, the Spermatozoon of all Life, as one may phrase it. The Sun, etc., are the external manifestations or Vestures of this Soul, as a Man is the Garment of an actual Spermatozoon, the Tree sprung of that Seed, with power to multiply and to perpetuate that particular Nature, though without necessary consciousness of what is happening.
(―New Comment on Liber AL vel Legis III:48)

02/01 page 111
04/19 page 226
65.32% "Liber Trigramaton makes almost no sense to me."
05/14 page 252
72.83% "The end of the hiding of Hadit."
06/14 page 266
77.0% "AL 3:19"
06/25 page 273
79.0% "AL 3:34 "Be ready to fly or to smite!""
07/15 page 298
86.0% "AL 3:68 "Yet to all it shall seem beautiful. Its enemies who say not so, are mere liars.""
11/30 page 302
87.0% "AL 3:75 "Aum. Ha.""
07/12 marked as: currently-reading