J's Reviews > Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard

U 50x66
Dec 17, 2009

I got the Pilgrim referral from Philip Yancey's book called "Soul Survivor: How my faith survived the church" - which despite the fantastic title, is really a compilation of his spiritual mentors and heros. A lot of them are authors, Dillard is one of them.

I have thoroughly enjoyed it - it's like a cup of tea by a nice window in book form. It's very unusual writing though - really a journal of her thoughts and experiences throughout a year living next to Tinker Creek. So a lot of nature writing, with some deep thoughts (sometimes too deep for me) thrown in. It's not a plot or action based book - which is precisely why it was such a surprise delight. There is a lot of nature/science writing, ie. about bugs and birds and plants and the ecosystem around the creek, so you have to enjoy that sort of thing. If your not into curiosities about nature, you might not get much out of it. Not at all overtly religious although she definitely touches on the divine in her ponderings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pilgrim at Tinker Creek.