Elizabeth Morgan's Reviews > The Spell of Summer

The Spell of Summer by Dianna Hardy

I have adored Dianna Hardy's voice since I first picked up one of her books ('Til Death Do Us Part) and have loved every story she has written. Her stories have always been unique, engaging, sweet, very sexy, and there have always been heart-warming moments in each story, as well as a good mixture of action and humour, but personally, I feel that The Spell of Summer is possibly her best book yet and I am very grateful that I got to be a beta reader for this book.

And I'm not trying to say that her other books aren't amazing, because they are. Both her Witching Pen Series, and her Eye of the Storm Series are original, wonderfully written, entertaining, touching, and 'Til Death Do Us Part was tragically beautiful and true to the original story, but The Spell of Summer is so very raw, so very real, and so very close to home.

You always connect with the characters in all her stories, but well, for me the connection was a lot deeper with The Spell of Summer, and yes, it had a lot to do with the fact that this book is closer to real life - don't get me wrong, if you tell me there are Werewolves in Surrey, hell, I'd believe you and move there, because that would be awesome - but reality is very different to fiction reality, and well, I cried while reading this story. I read it in one sitting; 3pm till midnight. I couldn't stop reading. I had to not what was going to happen. I had to know that everything was going to be okay in the end. That these two people were meant to be, that love like that is possible. I had to finish the book.

Out of all the characters I related to Meredith the most. I related to some of the events that had happened in her life. I related to her fears, her views, her wants and her hopes. And that is what is great about this book; fear and devastation, and then hope and so much love. The perfect balance; the balance that is life.

You see these characters, the heart of them; you see what they have gone through, what life has dealt them, you see the choices they have to make, have made, you see their mistakes and you watch them grow and change from those situations and moments, you watch how they become the people they are.

That is naturally the case with Jamie and Merri over everyone else, because this is their journey, their story, but you still see segments of the other characters; their personalities, hints of what they have been through, and I do hope that Dianna does continue because I really want to learn about her secondary characters, I want to see their journey, and their growth, and their happily ever after.

Overall, this book made me, as a reader, feel not only hopeful for the characters, but in general; it made me feel hopeful about life in general. It made me believe in love, and if something is meant to be it will be; in fate.

Jamie is lovely; not just because he sounds like a total dream-boat, but because he is so down-to-earth, and honest; accepting, fun . . . I want him. <3 Ha. But seriously, you can't help but love him, and you can't help but wish to be like him. He is so relaxed, so go with the flow. And even though he has been through his own heartaches, he is so very supportive and caring of those around him. He is a rock.

And Merri, like I said earlier, I related to her a lot. I understood her. She is a great character; vulnerable child, to rebellious teenager, to a career orientated adult, who like most of us loses herself, thinks she knows what she wants, who she wants - (view spoiler) - isn't happy even if she doesn't realize it, and has to go back to the beginning - back home - to figure herself out, figure out life. We've all been there. And when you look back over your life you can see those phases so clearly.

Candy and Pippa are fabulous secondary characters, who have both been through a lot, and are dealing with everything the best they can; trying to be strong for those around them. I really can't wait to learn more about them, to watch their growth and see their hope flourish into a happy ending.

I loved this book. It moved me. Only one other book has ever done that. If I wasn't crying while reading this book then there were tears in my eyes. It is real, raw, beautiful, hopeful, and romantic and in that magical way Dianna Hardy said it would be.

The Spell of Summer pulls you in. It makes you think about life, your wants, regrets, fears and hopes, and it makes you feel, and when a story makes you feel you know you will never forget it.

I really feel that we have seen a piece of Dianna Hardy's heart in this story. And I for one am very grateful to have had the privilege to see that.

The Spell of Summer, this summer's must read, and one that will most definitely weave a spell across your heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spell of Summer.

Quotes Elizabeth Liked

Dianna Hardy
“Don’t be sorry for the truth. A harsh truth is less damaging than a tender lie, and the worst lies are the ones we tell ourselves.”

Dianna Hardy
“None of us are ordinary – we just settle into ordinary lives.”

Dianna Hardy
“God, no. I don’t want to tame her, I want to watch her. I just want to watch her be herself – it turns me on like nothing else.”

Dianna Hardy
“Then, things get hard, because once you know magic exists, you have to decide whether to be the bystander, or the magician … and we were all born to be magicians.”

Dianna Hardy
“I don’t think of faith as something you need to have in the world, or in some deity or religion or whatever; I think having faith is about trusting in yourself, and trusting that you’ll know what to do when life gets complicated. I’m not scared of complications. But I am scared of walking away from something I want with every fibre of my being, without even trying to have it.”

Dianna Hardy
“...today, I’m writing about the extraordinary; those ‘moments’ in life that reach us, and change us. Those moments take place all the time, really – it’s just that we’re taught not to notice. We’re taught that whims are for the foolish; that instinct and passion are more akin to fairy tales than reality; that they won’t get us very far, and everyone would laugh at us if they knew what we really held close to our hearts.

It’s a lie we allow ourselves, and it’s understandable.

But it’s simply not true.”

Finished Reading