Nicole Field's Reviews > Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat

Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Jane Espenson

Jan 05, 2014

Holy crap. I read this comic overnight. Either I'm getting way better at reading graphic novels, or that edition of season eight was a whole lot better than what's come before it.

What I found was different about 'Retreat' was that it was far more cohesive than most of the editions we've had before. We've had a lot of seeming loose ends up till now which has made it easy to put comics down with the idea to pick them up again later. Not so this time. We're heading towards the climax of the series now.

The pacing of time passing between episodes was something I really liked about this one. Warren and Amy are are back and teamed up together with the Big Bad known as Twilight (and those jokes pretty much write themselves). The plan is for the slayers to give their magic back to the earth and so stop themselves being tracked to Tibet through it. It doesn't feel forced or rushed, the sequences lead onto each other naturally without any unnecessary narrative.

And, of course, Tibet means that they have teamed back up with Oz. I've had really strong feelings about how Oz should come back into Willow's life after Tara died for a long time now and that was hard to let go of, but I seriously think they handled it well. There are some touching conversations between them that don't slow down the larger plot.

The Giles and Faith closeness suffers for Giles and Buffy being reunited again in this one, but there are some beautiful moments between Faith and Buffy and also between Xander and Dawn to watch out for.

I don't feel like I remember there being short stories at the back of any of the other trade paperbacks, but the two in here are *really* memorable. Stephen Colbert and Harmony Kendall is now my new favourite ship, and the story that follows is even better than that.

I'm going to have a hard time not immediately picking up the second to last comic before the finale but, if this is the quality we can expect from here, it's a good thing that people have already started handing me parts of season nine to encourage my reading of graphic novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

January 5, 2014 – Started Reading
January 5, 2014 – Shelved
January 5, 2014 –
page 8
6.35% "Every so often, someone gives me more Buffy comics to try to get me into graphic novels. Well, it's happened again. Into the breach..."
January 5, 2014 – Finished Reading