Nikki's Reviews > The Monstrumologist

Dec 16, 2009

bookshelves: young-adult, historical-fiction, fantasy
Recommended for: teen guys
Read from January 19 to 24, 2010

4.5 stars! This book was thoroughly absorbing. Every sentence is rich with detail — and most of the details are grotesque in admittedly fascinating ways. I can't help thinking what a perfect book this would be for certain teenage guys: the kind who draw skeletons dripping with blood in their notebooks. There is zero romance in this book but plenty of the macabre, plenty of danger, plenty of monsters jumping out of the shadows.

At the same time, the writing is spectacular and the themes of monster vs man run deep and in sophisticated, complicated ways. The characters are well drawn and complex. Will may not love the doctor, but after the first scene at the asylum, I do, despite his manic tendencies, his neglect of Will, and his arrogance.

The absolute only thing that bothered me was that I felt like there was one contradiction, but I'm hoping someone else who's read it maybe understood this better than I did and can set me straight in a comment. In the first chapter, the doctor explains how the monsters have to use a human womb to reproduce, but everything else in the book seems to contradict this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monstrumologist.