Natalie Monroe's Reviews > The Young Elites

The Young Elites by Marie Lu

bookshelves: kick-ass-heroines, great-but-not-quite-there-yet, i-m-your-barbie-girl, derp-moments, awesome-author, met-in-real-life, lgbtqia-if-you-squint
Read 2 times. Last read March 14, 2017 to March 24, 2017.

Recipe for a awesome YA Fantasy (Young Elites style)

You will require:

-3/4 of a cup of cultured flour

-1/2 cup watery religion

-a dash of magic

-500 grams of Anti-heroine, dark and bitter

-2 teaspoons of Estranged Prince (fiery brand)

-1 package of Interesting Side Characters mix

-3 diverse eggs, separated amongst LGBT free-range, POC jumbo, and disabled cage-free.

-a pinch of death

Instructions

In a bowl, mix cultured flour and watery religion together to create a rich dough of world-building. After the mixture thickens, add in the dash of magic.

Leave dough to congeal overnight, then add in Anti-heroine, Estranged Prince, and Interesting Side Characters. Mix the above with diverse eggs and set automatic egg-beater to its highest setting.

Oil a pan and pour Young Elites mixture in. Add a pinch of death and bake in the oven at 350°.

Serve hot with a side of Reader's tears.

My review of The Rose Society
My review of The Midnight Star

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Young Elites.

Quotes Natalie Liked

Marie Lu
“Be true to yourself. But that's something everyone says and no one means. No one wants you to be yourself. They want you to be the version of yourself that they like.”

Marie Lu
“I hereby pledge to serve the Dagger Society, to strike fear into the hearts of those who rule Kenettra, to take by death what belong to us, and to make the power of our Elites known to every man, woman, and child. Should I break my vow, let the dagger take from me what I took from the dagger.”

Marie Lu
“I pledge myself to the Rose Society until the end of my days, to use my eyes to see all that happens, my tongue to woo others to our side, my ears to hear every secret, my hands to crush my enemies. I will do everything in my power to destroy all who stand in my way.”

Marie Lu
“Embellish your flaws. They will turn into your assets.”

Marie Lu
“Everyone has darkness inside them, however hidden.”

Marie Lu
“Don't cry. You are stronger than that.”

Marie Lu
“I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside. It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt.”

Marie Lu
“Sorry, always sorry. What in the world can you buy with an apology?”

January 4, 2014 – Shelved
January 4, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 9, 2014 – Started Reading
December 9, 2014 –
0.0% "The verdict's mixed on this one. But the first page already screams potential.\n \n "
December 9, 2014 –
14.0% "He snaps his fingers.\n \n A small flame bursts to life on his fingertips, licking hungrily at the air above it.\n \n "
December 12, 2014 –
30.0% "The Young Elites' powers remind me of bending in Avatar.\n \n "
December 12, 2014 –
82.0% "Slowing down. I want to savor this baby."
December 13, 2014 – Shelved as: kick-ass-heroines
May 21, 2016 – Shelved as: met-in-real-life
December 23, 2016 – Shelved as: lgbtqia-if-you-squint
March 14, 2017 – Started Reading
March 24, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Melissa (Ever So Mela) I do have to hand it to Marie Lu for being able to shock me. Not what I expected by a mile.

Natalie Monroe Melissa wrote: "I do have to hand it to Marie Lu for being able to shock me. Not what I expected by a mile."

Yes! The last 20% cinched the deal. (view spoiler)

message 3: by Roya (new) - rated it 1 star

Roya I hated this book. It's actually my least favourite book of all time, if that makes me any more charming. XD But this review...this review is perfect. :D So creative.

Melissa (Ever So Mela) Oh you know it will happen. (view spoiler)

Natalie Monroe Melissa wrote: "Oh you know it will happen. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Natalie Monroe Roya wrote: "I hated this book. It's actually my least favourite book of all time, if that makes me any more charming. XD But this review...this review is perfect. :D So creative."

Haha, thanks! I have a suspicion that Marie isn't very good at writing first installments because Legend didn't capture my interest. It wasn't until Prodigy that I forever pledged myself to her. XD

Thibaut Nicodème I'd guess the princess whose name eludes me will "master her powers" better or something and then revive Enzo fully. That or they'll find a cure for zombification. Or he could remain a zombie and the book could show actual consequences. I mean, it's possible. I doubt it'll happen, but it's possible.

But I'd rather he stay dead.

(Also, wait, who was disabled? Did I miss/forget something here?)

Thibaut Nicodème Natalie wrote: "I have a suspicion that Marie isn't very good at writing first installments because Legend didn't capture my interest. It wasn't until Prodigy that I forever pledged myself to her. XD "

That is actually a very good point.

message 9: by Natalie (last edited Dec 18, 2014 07:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Natalie Monroe @Thibaut Adelina is blind in one eye and it hinders her fighting. I thought it was a fairly positive portrayal of disability.

I really hope Enzo stays down too. Marie isn't that safe of an author so I have high hopes.

Sakina Amazing and creative review! :)

Natalie Monroe Sakina wrote: "Amazing and creative review! :)"

Thanks!

message 12: by Jannah (new)

Jannah (Cloud Child) excellent review!

Natalie Monroe Cloud wrote: "excellent review!"

Rachel'sbookishworld So creative!

Natalie Monroe Rachel wrote: "So creative!"

Thank you!

message 16: by Ramona (new) - added it

Ramona Good book or bad book?

Natalie Monroe Sandstorm wrote: "Good book or bad book?"

Good.

message 18: by George (new)

George Jankovic Wonderful review, Natalie!

Natalie Monroe George wrote: "Wonderful review, Natalie!"

Thank you!