Bret James Stewart's Reviews > Whispers from the Heart

Whispers from the Heart by Pamela Proehl

19232021

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers from the Heart.

Finished Reading
January 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 3, 2014 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Bret James Stewart Whispers from the Heart is a poetry book by mother-son team, Pamela and Westin Proehl. I first encountered Pamela Proehl via her mystery/thriller novel, The Heartbreak Killer, which I enjoyed so much I had to try out her other works. I read a poem a day, and Whispers from the Heart has been my morning companion for some time.

The bulk of the poems are Pamela’s. She has a relaxed style, and the poems are homiletic and accessible. They generally have a moral and deal with everyday things like love and change. Many of them are poems of faith or have an obvious underlying faith to them, and, sometimes, I felt as if I were reading a daily devotional, which is a good thing.

Westin’s poems are a bit more complicated, though they are certainly accessible, too. His works are more layered, using more metaphors and other symbolism to make his point. His poems seem to lack the faith of his mother’s work. He, too, grapples with love and loss, and his youth highlights the pain suffered during breakups and the inherent difficulty in growing up.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes poetry for daily life. The poems herein are approachable and universal enough to strike a chord with all of us involved in the human experience. The book itself is well made and contains some artwork and design that add value to the overall book. Also, many of the poems have a dedication, which further personalizes the poems and creates a sense of understanding and application. There are a few typos but nothing that detracts from the quality of the book.