Charissa's Reviews > 100 Love Sonnets

100 Love Sonnets by Pablo Neruda

Oct 22, 2007

bookshelves: poetry, all-time-faves
Recommended to Charissa by: fate
Recommended for: romantics, the tortured, accordian players
Read in January, 1998

When I got tired of copying love poems from the Chinese and Japanese into urgent, wretched note cards to lovers who were unattainable (and I'm a genius at finding unattainable characters to pine after)... that's when I turned to Pablo Neruda. He's even better than Asian poets at crafting throbbing, passionate, wounded phrases of affection:

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrence
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

and:

No one can stop the river of your hands,
your eyes and their sleepiness, my dearest.
You are the trembling of time, which passes
between the vertical light and the darkening sky.

and:

From the stormy archipelagoes I brought
my windy accordian, waves of crazy rain,
the habitual slowness of natural things:
they made up my wild heart.

Imagine for a moment being the unsuspecting recipient of such transcribed scribblings. You thought you were just getting a nice shag, and now you're getting Neruda by notecard, shoved into the mail slot of your door, or left under your windshield wiper at the parking garage. At least I never called in the middle of the night and left Neruda recitations on the answering machine. Okay, maybe I did once. But there had been a great deal of tequila involved.

Not everything he wrote was tortured. Some of it was just beautiful:

I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;...

...so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

and:

because love cannot always fly without resting,
our lives return to the wall, to the rocks of the sea:
our kisses head back home where they belong.

and:

By night, Love, tie your heart to mine, and the two
together in their sleep will defeat the darkness

Luckily I got over the phase where I copied tragic poetry into notecards to express my unrequited passions. Now I've moved on to mix CDs. I swear, I'm a caricature even of myself. Emo mommy. Pardon me while I don a pirate blouse and walk moodily across the moors on a stormy day.

Pablo, however, is lovely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Love Sonnets.

02/10/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary I think that we can see it all though. I've noticed the same thing with some of my own comments.

Another great post as well.

Charissa Thank you Gary... I've deleted the bit about my post being incomplete. I wonder what odd strain of code causes portions to disappear. Gremlins.

ta

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna What a great review, Charissa!

Charissa Thank you, Anna banana! : )

message 5: by Anna (last edited Feb 04, 2008 06:12AM) (new)

Anna Hehe. I needed that laugh - we were mentally preparing for a very early spring and then overnight it started to snow again.

Emo mommy...brilliant! It sounds like a Muppet show character. ;) The Swedish Chef and Emo Mommy strikes again!

Charissa Anna... omg I love Chef!!! I miss the Muppets!!!

Mimi... thanks dahlink... and thanks for inviting me over to the Haters Club. When I'm done there it's as if I have no hate left in me to fling around in 3D. Awesome sauce.

Charissa omg... what thread is that in??? I'll go in there and defend your honor. there's no need to get personal!!!

message 8: by Lulu (new)

Lulu Yep - you can hate my religion (or lack, thereof) my politics or my taste in books, but by god, you better not hate on my hair!

Charissa, I beg you - please go write reviews of my entire booklist so that I can cheerfully 'benchmark share' which is what we call plagiarism at the Goliath Corporation.

Charissa LOL!! awww... thanks Lulu. I'll have to remember that phrase "benchmark sharing" next time I am late for a term paper. But, you know, you never what you might get if I review things like "A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland, Indiana"... which I have never read and would therefore be forced to make stuff up which undoubtedly would contain phrases like "a work of incomprehensible antagonism and confusion which sports nothing but microcephalic freaks in polka dotted muumuus who dance a series of nonsequiturs together with the Lord of the Dance and Darth Vader." And then people would be horribly, horribly mislead.

message 10: by Lulu (new)

Lulu ...not to mention pissed off that you dissed on Michael Flatley. And it would start an entire thread on clogging vs dancing, where goodreaders would tune in to read and watch the fur fly between Bruno Tonioli and Tim Gunn. Polka dotted muumuus indeed...

message 11: by Lulu (new)

Lulu But thanks anyway.

Jennifer Michelle Best review ever!

Abigail Montiel Very nice review!

grace drake Oh my goodness that so lovely I love anything with strong and inspiring moment