Pili's Reviews > The Truth Against the World

The Truth Against the World by Sarah Jamila Stevenson

liked it
bookshelves: 2014-review-pile-reading-challenge, arcs

When I requested The Truth Against the World on NetGalley I read the synopsis and was drawn towards the Wales setting and the paranormal touches, but then for some reason I got it confused with something else and kinda was expecting this one to be another dystopian!

It took me a little while to realize it was told in dual POV, I kept getting confused and was wondering who was Gareth and why all of a sudden everything seemed different and the narrator was referring to himself as Wyn but then it was not a he but a she? I usually don't get confused too easily, but it took me quite a few pages to actually figure who was who and where were they and what was going on with them.

If there was something I completely loved in this book was the setting, I adored how genuine and well researched all the Welsh and the locations in Wales seemed to be. I felt very much present in the place and location and it made me wish I was there walking those green rolling hills. I loved the Welsh proverbs at the start of each chapter. And I loved the lil tidbits of history we keep on snatching here and there about life in the Welsh countryside during World War II.

The paranormal aspect was quite well done, with enough plausibility to it, with enough creepiness and tension added with the dreams, visions and strange happenings related to the ghost.

The mystery of sorts that needs to be discovered or figured out to put the ghost to rest was intriguing enough but not so difficult to figure out since there was a lot of emphasis on the connection between the two main characters. Still, it was quite well woven, even if it seemed to have dragged at bit all over the book and was only solved in the two final chapters.

Wyn and Gareth felt like genuine teenagers and their frustration at being treated like kids and being watched too closely and feeling suffocated by their families came out quite well on the page. I was quite glad that despite their odd connection and strange happenings, no romance was thrown onto us on this book and for that I'm grateful.

With a very well done setting and genuine characters this was an interesting book, it just seemed a bit too leisurely paced, with not too much happening in it, though there are plenty of issues addressed. Still, I'd give it a 3 stars, maybe a 3.5 since it managed to really make me want to visit Wales soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth Against the World.

January 3, 2014 – Shelved
January 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
January 3, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014-review-pile-reading-challenge
May 25, 2014 – Started Reading
May 25, 2014 – Shelved as: arcs
May 25, 2014 –
31.0% "This is shaping up differently than I expected but I'm really liking it!"
May 26, 2014 – Finished Reading