Kerry's Reviews > Dragon Prince

Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn

Dec 14, 2009

bookshelves: 2010, 9, ebooks, fantasy, reread, 2014, rereads-in-2014, 8
Read from July 25 to November 17, 2014

REREAD: 25 July 2014 - 17 November 2014 (8/10)

Rereading with Judith Tarr's Tor.com read along.

I really enjoyed this. The faults in the book that Judith brought up, I knew were there but had chosen to ignore. This reread was a chance to again acknowledge them (and the changes in the genre in almost 30 years) and yet still enjoy the book. I just plain like this series.

Last time I reread the book I had plans to go on to The Star Scroll and never quite got around it it, so I'm happy that reading on with Judith will keep me going this time.

REREAD: 15 June 2010 - 23 July 2010 (9/10)

It's gone slowly, but I really enjoyed rereading Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince. I loved meeting the characters all over again and watching them find their feet and change their world. In many ways, it's a relatively simple story (certainly not as complicated as the later volumes in the series or Rawn's truly complicated - but excellent - Exiles series), but a most enjoyable one.

It shows it's age a little bit, mostly in that some of the themes probably wouldn't be treated the same way today (mostly Rohan's pain in trying to be "civilised" and finding himself a "barbarian" underneath). But all in all, it was still a very enjoyable read and I hope to find the time to go back to the rest of the series before too long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Prince.

06/18/2010 "I'm having a lovely, slow reread of this old favourite."
06/19/2010 page 86
15.0% "Nice, steady progress. Yay, Rohan and Sioned have met."
07/05/2010 page 138
24.0% "Happily enjoying the story, feeling no need to rush."
07/07/2010 page 300
52.0% "Will try to get to the end of part 2 before I need to start Curse of the Mistwraith for a group read tomorrow."
07/07/2010 page 346
60.0% "I'm so enjoying rereading this. I'm at a good point to stop and work on my group read, then back to this one."
08/14/2014 marked as: currently-reading
08/19/2014 page 150
26.0% "Rereading with Judith Tarr at Tor.com"
09/12/2014
50.0% "Yay, back up to dare with the Tor.com read along."
11/08/2014
96.0% "One chapter to go!"
11/16/2014 marked as: read