Ellie's Reviews > The Illusion of Separateness

The Illusion of Separateness by Simon Van Booy

bookshelves: 2014indchalnge, fiction, holocaust-jewish

The Illusion of Separateness is the best book yet of the gifted Simon Van Booy. The prose is as beautiful as ever-lines so breathtaking you want to memorize them-and the story is both meaningful and inspiring. Taking its title from words of the famous Vietnamese monk and spiritual leader, Thích Nhất Hạnh, the book follows a group of seemingly disparate individuals and lifts the veil at the end to reveal how connected they really are. The feeling inside this book and its revelation is the connection we all have to each other, no matter how separate we seem or feel.

Based on a true story, the book follows the lives of a Jewish American couple, a Jewish boy born in the midst of the Nazi holocaust, a blind girl, a German soldier severely wounded in the war, and an American film director. Despite their seeming unrelatedness, they are deeply connected.

With his story, and his words, Van Booy weaves a web that draws these characters together and brings us in as well to the linked destinies of us all.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Illusion of Separateness.

January 3, 2014 – Started Reading
January 3, 2014 – Shelved
January 3, 2014 –
page 35
January 3, 2014 –
page 54
25.47% "Van Booy's writing is so far as beautiful as ever but also more solid than I remembered, as fits this story."
January 5, 2014 –