Bret James Stewart's Reviews > The Heartbreak Killer

The Heartbreak Killer by Pamela Proehl

19232021

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review.

I love this book, overall. If your're into thriller/suspense, this is going to be a page-turner for you.

The only thing I don't like about the book is aesthetics. The book is an odd size, a little too big, so it makes the book seem too short. The paragraphs have an extra space, too, so this makes the book longer, but at the cost of unusual spacing, which seems a bad choice, in my opinion. Also, I do not like the cover artwork. There is nothing technically wrong with it, and it is pertinent to the book, but it personally doesn't excite me.

With the negatives out of the way, let's get to the good stuff. Proehl has done a great job with the novel. Rachel Carter, a single school teacher, the protagonist, is a newly-realized psychic with a problem. She dreams of the murders instigated by the serial Heartbreak Killer. She witnesses the deaths of his victims. If that weren't bad enough, the kicker is she is one of women mutilated by this psychopath. The recurring dreams are understandably dominating Rachel's life.

She turns to her best friend, who turns her on to a professional psychic. This woman assures Rachel that she is in no danger--but is she? After correctly forseeing a couple of murders, a hardline police detective comes on the scene, along with a police sketch artist who becomes Rachel's love interest. Proehl's descriptions are great and believable; the characters really come to life. The serial killer is a nutcase, of course, and she describes him in such a way that you feel sorry for him even as you hate him. Rachel is warm and inviting, and her life and interactions are believable and realistic, under the circumstances.

The action is introduced in the beginning and keeps going. It ramps up and remains that way until the very end as Rachel races against time to help the police find the serial killer before he kills her. The novel culminates in a double surprise ending (I'm not going to spoil it for you). You are going to stay up late with this novel just to see what happens next.

The Heartbreak Killer is a thrillride you don't want to miss. Except for the aesthetics, the novel is great. I would rank this book 4.5 stars; I am rounding up since half stars are not permitted. I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heartbreak Killer.

Started Reading