Anita's Reviews > Staked

Dec 14, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, did-not-finish, didn-t-like-much
Read in December, 2009

I read about 1/4 of this vampire/werewolf urban fantasy and then gave up on it. The main character is thoroughly unlikeable, and none of the other characters were very compelling, either. I don't understand the appeal of reading about a horrible guy who doesn't seem to have any chance at all of becoming anything interesting. The book celebrates loserdom. I've come across a couple other books with that slant, and I didn't like them either. Maybe it's a sub-sub-sub-genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Staked.

03/15/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Aimee (last edited Dec 14, 2009 08:01PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Aimee I couldn't finish this one either. It did make me laugh, but I just couldn't connect with the main character. The first time he interacted with his girlfriend killed it for me. I gave up and handed it off to my husband, who is thoroughly enjoying it. I guess the protagonist is a man's man.

J.F. I always hope the humor will keep folks interested long enough to begin to get a feel for Eric and realize there is more to him (and to Tabitha) than meets the eye. Obviously, it doesn't always work. Thanks to both of you for giving the book a shot. I'm not sure what more any author can expect from a reader. :)

message 3: by Aimee (last edited Dec 15, 2009 09:00AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Aimee J.f. wrote: "I always hope the humor will keep folks interested long enough to begin to get a feel for Eric and realize there is more to him (and to Tabitha) than meets the eye. Obviously, it doesn't always wo..."

Like I said, my husband is enjoying it. He's more than halfway through. And that's saying something considering I've never seen him make it further than 50 pages in ANY book.

In my case, I have to connect with the protagonist early on. And Eric and I weren't quite compatible. He was funny. I laughed out loud within the first few pages. But he was just not for me. I knew my husband would enjoy him...that's why I gave it to him to read.