Mary JL's Reviews > Something's Alive on the Titanic

Dec 14, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: action-adventure
Recommended to Mary JL by: The title caught my eye--a good concept
Recommended for: fans of advneture; Titanic buffs, ghost story fans

** spoiler alert ** The title piqued my interest. I had previously read "The President's Plane Is Missing", by the same author, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The concept is good. An earlier expedition to the Titanic had failed; leaving only one survivor. Now, a second expedition is being planned by the US Navy--with more modern equipment and better trained people.

Serling does his research well; he sticks to most of the true facts about the Titanic--adding just one or two bits of fiction to base his tale on. The writing is competent; the characterization average.

So, why only two stars? Well, here comes a spoiler without too many details. Serling introduces supernatural elements into his tale. I do like supernatural books--Stephen King being a prime example. However, the supernatural elements did not seem to fit here. Or, maybe the way this author handles supernatural elements does not ring a bell with me.

If you like supernatural elements in your books, you may enjoy this book more than I. Had the explaination of events been different, I would have given three stars.

Still, a quick, fast paced decent read and a must for any Titanic buffs out there.

Btw, note for trivia collectors: Robert Serling is the brother of Rod Serling, of 'Twilight Zone' fame.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something's Alive on the Titanic.

December 14, 2009 – Shelved
page 201
Started Reading
December 24, 2009 –
page 374
100.0% "Finished. Review pending."
December 24, 2009 – Finished Reading