Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)'s Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Dec 14, 2009

bookshelves: could-not-put-it-down-books, favorite-series, read-more-than-once, favorites, epic-series, historical, not-young-adult, re-reading, romance, scotland, time-travel, true-love-story, favorite-author, a-big-box-of-stars
Recommended to Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) by: Sandra Zilch
Read from March 04 to 23, 2014

[Edit 324/14 - I guess this is my seventh time to read this book, but it has been several years. There are no books that I have read that I can compare this series to. What really struck me this time, because I knew I loved Jamie Fraser but I was kind of searching for "why". For me it was the conversations between him and Claire and the discovery of their feelings that they were finding. They were discovering it in the worst of circumstances with danger all around - and worse. I'd kind of forgotten that Jamie, the wild Highlander, was a well educated young man and well spoken too. There is a lot to this story besides their love story, but this time around that was what drew me in the most. Someone asked me what I thought about the actress who will play Claire in the series, and I said I didn't care who played her. I was wrong. Jamie and Claire go together - they are one. I do care. Beautiful beautiful story...and if the love story isn't what you read this for, there are amazing twists, intrigue, Scottish history, great characters, time travel. Speaking of love stories, how would you feel if you dearly loved your husband but found yourself in a situation where he would not be born for another 200 years? Would you be unfaithful if you fell in love with another? Would you go back if you could? But can you?]

What can I say about this book? I have read it half a dozen times (or maybe this is my sixth time) and it is an all time favorite series. I love Scotland, love Jamie Fraser, love the idea of time travel. The first time I read this book perhaps 12 years ago I ordered all the other book before I was half way through this one. It's a historical novel but so much more - the greatest love story ever and not like anything else out there. It's gritty and graphic, sometimes I cringe and admittedly I have skimmed at times, so it is not for the faint hearted - and definitely not YA. The heroine, Clare, was a nurse in WWII and when she finds herself in the primitive past she has knowledge about healing far beyond those around her. But in that situation too much knowledge can cause one to be perceived as a witch. Fine line to walk.

The story of Clare and the incredible highlander she finds in the past carries not only through their youth (she is 28 and he is 23 when they meet) but in this series their love is as strong and passionate when they are grandparents....but I am jumping ahead quite a few books. This book made me smile, made me cry, made me cringe when Jamie tells Clare what happened to him in prison - this book does not hold anything back. Jamie is bigger than life and so much more than a book character. What can I say - read it! I wrote this as I pick it up for the sixth time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

03/05/2014 marked as: currently-reading
03/29/2014 marked as: read

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Clary made an appearance?? Lol! I know you're just used to typing Clary. I WILL read this one day!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Oops, will correct that. Thanks. LOL

message 3: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Shaw Yep, great book! Love it too! :)

Lacy I read the whole series over every time a new book comes out. I love them so much. I might not get to it this time, though. Maybe just the last couple to catch me back up. Still.... can't wait for the TV show.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I am going to skip to the last one just to be sure I have read it again before the next book.