Unholy Unicorn's Reviews > Just Like the Movies

Just Like the Movies by Kelly Fiore Stultz

5194033
John Tucker Must Die meets any other half baked high school flick.

Marijke Monti
 photo tumblr_mak5b28uK91qdndm8o1_500_zpsuxaoapnc.gif
Marijke's life is perfect. She is the daughter of a former quarterback/Prom King and head cheerleader/Prom Queen. She is popular, beautiful, and athletic. She has a firm grip on life, especially when it comes to the State Track Championship. The only thing that isn't perfect in her life right now is her relationship with her boyfriend, Tommy Lawson. Tommy has a guitar and a whole lot of complaining band. Guess we all know who irks Marijke the most. Yup. Groupies. She trust him deeply, she truly does. It's the girls who lurk over him she doesn't trust. It doesn't hurt if Tommy shows a little effort to save their relationship though.

Lily Spencer
 photo tumblr_m8ai4pqiXZ1qj9juh_zps4dibxsym.gif
Lily is a very important person in their high school. She is the class secretary. She also juggles extracurricular activity and volunteer committee like a pro. Sadly, no one gives her enough credit.
 photo tumblr_lxockhHFC21r4d8txo1_500_zpsgcyy7y30.gif
Yeah. They gotta know her name first for them to do that. Which they absolutely don't. She doesn't belong to the popular crowd, you see. She also has this huge crush on uber mega hot biker and totally out of her league, Joe Lombardi. Talk about Brittany Snow and everyone's favorite Lonely Boy, Penn Badgely in John Tucker Must Die! You know, except for the fact that Joe is popular. Her mom is sort of like Brittany's mom as well. Have you watched it? Well if not, here you go, her mom is a type of woman who is in love with the idea of being in love and chases after it. Sounds confusing? Well, I hope not.

photo tumblr_mgmmtqjjvS1rf9n2eo1_500_zps6u6jstwo.gif

After an accidental meeting at the movie theater, they have decided to make their own happily ever after just in time for their senior prom. How? By copying techniques from their favorite movies of course!

OVERALL

I liked this book. The character development could have been better though. I think the time that Marijke and Lily spend with each other wasn't enough. I need more interactions. The two of them suddenly filling that best friend spot for each other seemed abrupt and forced. Tommy, I hate Tommy. Seriously!
(view spoiler)
Yeah. 3 stars because of the thing with Tommy and the spending time with each other more. This book is also missing the oomph actor. The magical feeling you feel after you watched a good rom-com where you would find yourself asking Why don't I have a relationship like that? or exactly like Why can’t life be like a movie? Also because it didn't even bust the big guns yet. The big romantic sappy yet fluffy films. I really appreciate the boombox and Pitch Perfect's power couple but if you're going to make references about a romantic movies, don't forget to include the to-go romantic films of all time. I'm guessing the author and I have different list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Like the Movies.

January 3, 2014 – Shelved