Laura's Reviews > Crown of Midnight

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: favorites, 100-book-challenge, fantasy, romance, ya

And the truth comes out!! This book was all about mystery and secrets and revelations and realizations and battles and all that amazing stuff. All with my favorite characters! Oh and the heartbreak and indecision too - can't leave them out in the cold!

Crown of Midnight is the sequel to Throne of Glass. Both are extremely good. If you like fantasy, assassins, badass heroines, and tons of suspense and mystery, this series is for you! I simply CANNOT wait for the next book to come out! I'm going to have to placate myself with reading the 4 (or is it 5 now?) novellas that come before the first book that are all about Celaena's assassin missions before Throne of Glass takes place.

This is such an addicting series! I wouldn't recommend just picking it up when you only have time to read one chapter. This is a commitment type of book but if you can't do commitment, then you're about to be sucked in real fast my friend!

I absolutely adore how Ms. Maas does multiple POV's throughout the entire book to give us the whole picture from each person's perspective and taking into account that there are so many things going on at once to each of the characters that it does take multiple POV's to tell the whole story without any holes.

The plot, the characters, everything was amazingly addicting in this book. I highly recommend this series! 5 glorious stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crown of Midnight.

Quotes Laura Liked

Sarah J. Maas
“I worry because I care. Gods help me, I know I shouldn't, but I do. So I will always tell you to be careful, because I will always care what happens.”

Sarah J. Maas
“The rest of the world quieted into nothing. In that moment, after ten long years, Celaena looked at Chaol and realised she was home.”

“Why are you crying?"
"Because," she whispered, her voice shaking, "you remind me of what the world ought to be. What the world can be.”

Sarah J. Maas
“What does that mean?" he demanded.
She smiled sadly. "You'll figure it out. And when you do..." She shook her head, knowing she shouldn't say it, but doing it anyway. "When you do, I want you to remember that it wouldn't have made any difference to me. It's never made any difference to me when it came to you. I’d still pick you. I’ll always pick you.”

Sarah J. Maas
“I don't think you realize who you're dealing with."

The man clicked his tongue, "If you were that good, you would be more than just Captain of the Guard."

Chaol let out a low, breathy laugh. "I wasn't talking about me."

"She's just one girl."

Though his guts were twisting at the thought of her in this place, with these people, though he was considering every possible way to get himself and Celaena out of here alive, he gave the man a grin.

"Then you're really in for a big surprise.”

Sarah J. Maas
“It was like coming home or being born or suddenly finding an entire half of herself that had been missing.”

Sarah J. Maas
“If they wanted Adarlan's Assassin, they'd get her.

And Wyrd help them when she arrived.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Enough! We have enough enemies as it is! There are worse things out there to face!"

Celaena slowly turned to him, her face splattered with blood and eyes blazing bright. "No, there aren't," she said. "Because I'm here now.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Celaena was the lost Queen of Terrasen.
Chaol sank to his knees.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Then Celaena and the King of Adarlan smiled at each other, and it was the most terrifying thing Dorian had ever seen.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Dance with me, Celaena," he said again, his voice rough. When her eyes met his she forgot about the cold, and the moon, and the glass palace looming above them. The secret library and the king's plans and Mort and Elena faded into nothing. She took his hand and there was only the music and Chaol.”

Sarah J. Maas
“But death was her curse and her gift, and death had been her good friend these long, long years.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Roland gave her a courtier’s smile. “And what sort of work do you do for my uncle?

Dorian shifted on his feet and Chaol went very still, but Celaena returned Roland’s smile and said, “I bury the king’s opponents where nobody will ever find them.”

Sarah J. Maas
“Because she wasn't human, Chaol realized, gaping at her from where he still crouched over Fleetfoot.
No - she wasn't human at all.
Celaena was Fae.”

Sarah J. Maas
“The best lies were always mixed with truth.”

Sarah J. Maas
“I'm happy for you, my friend."

Celaena smiled back. "I think... I think I'm happy for me, too."

And she was. For the first time in years, she was truly happy.”

January 2, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 12, 2014 –
page 210
March 13, 2014 –
page 362
86.19% "I think I have an addiction... Too bad the next book isn't out yet! I'll just have to satisfy my need for more of this series with the novellas!"
March 14, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites
March 14, 2014 – Shelved as: 100-book-challenge
March 14, 2014 – Finished Reading
March 16, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
March 16, 2014 – Shelved as: romance
March 16, 2014 – Shelved as: ya

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Wren Figueiro I'm reading it now. I'm getting worried about finishing, since the next one doesn't come out 'til next month.what do you think? Should I keep reading or wait? I'm in the middle right now.

Laura Hmmm... well the ending isn't a crazy cliffhanger but it does end in a very... enlightening way. So if you really don't want the stress :) then I would say either read really slowly or stop and wait for Heir of Fire to come out.

Wren Figueiro I couldn't help it! Had to finish! Luckily the next one comes out in less than a month.

Vasiliki You are so right! It's indeed a commitment book! I thought that I had it under control but I was so wrong....Here I am, trying to figure out how I can keep on reading this book although I have to work...! Awful....I haven't felt like this for a book for years!

Laura Vasiliki wrote: "You are so right! It's indeed a commitment book! I thought that I had it under control but I was so wrong....Here I am, trying to figure out how I can keep on reading this book although I have to w..."

Haha me too! And suddendly the next day I wake up and only have an hour of sleep... Oops? Love at first sight *sighs dreamily*