J.L. Spohr's Reviews > Blackberry Winter

Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio

bookshelves: read-in-2014, books-for-all-seasons

Ms. Jio owes me. Big time. What does she owe me?
SLEEP.
Blackberry Winter is an "oh I'll just read the next section and then turn off the light...damn it! How is it 1am?" read.

It seems to be a trend in historical fiction to write from the perspective of a modern day woman whose life intertwines with a woman from history - take Tara Conklin's House Girl as another great example. Some historical fiction purists don't like this, and maybe they have a point, but the story comes to the author as it comes to the author and if you're looking only for strict historical fiction, or bodice ripping romance this book isn't for you.

But if you want to snuggle up with some cocoa this winter and wrap yourself in an engrossing, heart-tugging and ultimately hopeful tale about two women a century apart struggling to find their way back to their purpose in life, back to love, back to reconciliation, then Blackberry Winter's for you.

The pace is perfect (see sentence #3 above), the characters believable and insightfully drawn, and I challenge anyone to read about the teddy bear in the snow and not have your eyes wet with tears, mother or no.

Jio's voice is like that of a good friend - there is a carefully crafted casualness that feels almost like a conversation. And yet there's nothing amateurish about her style, just more a sense of familiarity that makes reading her books feel like you're spending a weekend getaway with an longtime and interesting friend. You want to be with her and her characters on this journey.

It is my Book For All Seasons pick for January, and I hope it will be yours too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackberry Winter.

Started Reading