Vanessa's Reviews > Beautiful Failure

Beautiful Failure by Mariah Cole

12059859

bookshelves: part-of-a-series, abuse, 4-stars-it-was-good

4 Bitch-you-are-one-HOT-MESS Stars!!!

"My deepest fear is that I'll look back on my life and wonder what I did with it..."

I didn't know much about this book going into it, except what I read in the blurb. Emerald is a twenty-one year old girl, SERIOUSLY struggling to pick up the pieces of her life, after her mother committed suicide and left her. But even before that, her mother was pretty much the worst parent ever. She wasn't abusive.. I guess, but she gave a whole new meaning the the idea of neglect.

"My mother was a whore." <--- This is the first line of the book, by the way!

My mother.
My best friend.
My role model.

When she wasn't offering her shots of alcohol, or cigarettes, or coke...yeah...she was teaching her how to follow in her foot steps. Men are not men. They are "sponsors." A means to be used to a desired end.

When Emerald is struggling through her umpteenth job, in walks Carter Black, who, although she doesn't want to admit it, begins to turn her whole world upside down. Carter is the first person to EVER take a genuine interest in her. And little by little, he begins to chip away at her tough exterior.

"For the record, Emerald - I'm not trying to be your Prince Charming or your knight and shining armor. You're too fucked up for me to even think about saving you." - Carter

Emerald has lead a tough life with absolutely no paternal figure whatsoever. She hasn't known any better than to take her mother's advice, which I found to be so sad. So for as much as she is a tough bad ass, she is really just an innocent little girl inside.

Carter...oh how I LOVED Carter, but we really don't get a lot of him, which I found to be frustrating. Cole keeps this character as very much of a mystery to us throughout this whole book. We only see his interactions with Emerald. But we don't know who he is or what he does...until the very end, and OMG, even then, this just opened up 100 more questions for me. Now that I read the ending, I think that the fact that she kept this character so elusive to us was very much intentional. I am looking forward to finding out much more about Carter in the second book!!

And the ending? OMG!! No she did not just finish the book that way!!! Are you freaking kidding me? Finished this book last night, and I am still shaking my head at that fucking ending!! LOL!! I need Beautiful Temptation like NOW!!!!!

All in all, I have to say that I was very impressed with Mariah Cole's writing. It was probably my favorite element of this whole book. The story never dragged on, not one bit. In fact, by the time that I was really getting into it, it ended. I LOVED the love story between Emerald and Carter and how he slowly began to strip her of her cynicism. And the sex between them was seriously HOT!!

I will warn you again, that the book ends in a cliffy, but I hear that the second book will be out soon! Whether you wait to check it out then, or you jump on it now, is up to you, but I would definitely recommend this story.

"Ravens always come back...

The Rebel Book Chicks received this book in exchange for an honest review and were a part of its blog tour.

For more honest reviews, book updates, giveaways, and other complete craziness, visit our blog at http://www.rebelbookchicks.com/

Follow us on FB:https://www.facebook.com/rebelbook...
Follow us Twitter: https://twitter.com/RebelBookChicks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Failure.

January 2, 2014 – Shelved
January 2, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 26, 2014 – Started Reading
March 26, 2014 –
43.0% "Two things- 1) I am kind of loving this book so far!! 2) I have never seen a more aptly titled book!! Emerald is really a fucking hot mess!!!!! Lmao!"
March 27, 2014 – Shelved as: abuse
March 27, 2014 – Shelved as: part-of-a-series
March 27, 2014 – Finished Reading
June 11, 2019 – Shelved as: 4-stars-it-was-good

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Wonderful review Nessa! I look forward to reading! = ))

message 2: by • Lisa • (new)

• Lisa • FANTASTIC review !!

Vanessa Lisa Jayne wrote: "FANTASTIC review !!"

Thank you darling!! :)