Danny's Reviews > Alpha

Alpha by A.D. Aliwat

22205702

Read 2 times. Last read July 28, 2017 to March 3, 2018.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alpha.

Quotes Danny Liked

“I know my kids will be incredible, just not as great as me.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Being comfortable in your own skin is the spirit of rock-and-roll and, really, the spirit of cool.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“You can’t spell American without “I can.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Since humans are social animals, you’re basically only as good as your reputation.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“We were the untamed young bucks, testosterone and beer fueling our charge, fear alone left in the wake. Everybody thought we were a little dangerous, and that was cool.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“I love movies and all, but I could never imagine standing around saying lines and playing make believe all day. It’s too fucking ridiculous. Also, even children and animals can technically be actors. It’s not a job for a man.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Not caring is absolute freedom, and if you own it, all the way, it emits supreme confidence.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“In terms of the Trinity, I believe in the Father and the Holy Ghost but not really Jesus that much. Yes, Jesus was pretty badass because he stood up for what he believed in and was definitely an alpha and a man of his convictions, and all that respectable shit, and he took a hell of a beating in the end, but his message was wrong. All that turn the other cheek and love thy neighbor nonsense; be a lamb and so on. It’s silly and doesn’t work. The God of the Old Testament, the Father, that guy makes a lot more sense to me. He had it in him to be mean and spiteful. I get that I was made in the image of a guy who’d fuck over a nobody like Job basically for fun and to prove a point to a rival. I get that I was made in the image of a guy who’d kick two shitheads out of the Garden of Eden for disobeying Him. I get the idea of Him laying waste to entire cities with fireballs or whatever because He didn’t very much like the type of people that lived there (though Sodom and Gomorrah seem like just the sort of places I’d like to hang out). If God is love, it ain’t Jesus’. The Father’s love, tough love, is what works. Sometimes there’s difficulty distinguishing it from hate, and that’s why it applies to the way I live my life. Jesus’ message just makes people nice, makes them pussies, and while I’m thankful for it because it’s given me the upper hand throughout my life in very Christian America, believing in it, really, would be idiotic for anyone like me, a winner. And I believe in the Holy Ghost too mostly because I’ve felt Him working through me while doing really cool shit, like playing football and writing good songs or whatever. He’s what people mean when they say God-given talent, which I have a lot of.”
tags: alpha, god

“Being a rocket scientist isn’t all that smart when you could work in finance.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“While yes, it’s good to have a fair amount of haters, it’s not good to have them on the street, where their anonymity can let them slip away without serious repercussions if they slight you, and this made me realize that fame, on its own, without fear, actually totally fucking sucks.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“I make 2+2=5, and I get to keep the remaining 1 that’s not really there. I truly am a Master of the Universe. I don’t just do “God’s work,” as our CEO once put it, it’s more like I’ve actually become a god myself.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“I hate pretty much everyone almost as much as I love myself.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“I was nine when I figured out it’s better to be respected than liked.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Francis!” she yelled from the living room. I fucking hated it that she still called me that and refused to answer whenever she did. I told her from the time I was nine to call me Frank. She mostly only called me that stupid, effete fucking name when she was pissed at me. I hated it so much I once told her if, for whatever reason, I died young—got hit by a car, whatever—that I wanted my tombstone to read “Frank,” and if it didn’t, I would come back as a ghost and haunt her.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Bullying is beneath alphas. Bullies are just pussies that are big enough to get away with exorcising their emotional problems.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“The more you fuck over, the bigger the bonus. Winners win, losers lose.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“A junior high sports bus was, in the same vein as some fancier modes of passenger transport—limousines, private jets, coaches, whatever—a place where the important people, the king and queen, sat in the back.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“An important part of being an alpha is to be hateful and calculating, but to appear just inconsiderate. You need to put in effort to get what you want, but people will push back if they think you’re doing something maliciously. If they believe you just don’t know any better, are just kind of a selfish dick and they got in the way of that, rather than thinking they were a target, then you can get away with a lot more, and from then on they either avoid you or accept you as a force of nature.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Organization is a masculine trait, cleanliness a feminine one. Cleanliness is next to godliness because manliness is godliness.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Worse than getting kicked out of your slot to go on to a winning season is to lead during a losing one. Nobody wants to be king of the losers.”
tags: sports

“I’m pretty much the definition of an American Hero.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“People love smooth talk, especially chicks. They like to be sold on things, like to think there’s something better they can have that will make their little lives more complete.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“The kinds of jobs a fifteen-and-a-half-year-old can get are not worth doing. They pay shit and suck.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Alphas, like Scarface, can be drug dealers, but it’s still a little grimy.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“When you’re a professional athlete, you get paid millions of dollars for doing something that’s not only fun, but also physical and badass. You have fans: pathetic people without their own lives or hopes or dreams that measure their happiness on your weekly performance (this still boggles my mind, but in the best way possible—however, my role as a fan now is quite detached). You get to travel around to different cities and fuck their most beautiful women. You are given license to do pretty much whatever you want all the time, and are forgiven easily and often instantly when caught doing anything illegal. Professional athletes can literally get away with murder.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Rock stars have many of the same qualities as athletes—millions for doing what they love, fans, easy pussy, fame, status, the ability to do whatever they want when they want. While what they do is still cool, the main difference is that it’s less masculine. You connect with your fans in this intense, intimate, emotional way that is less about you and more about them, how you make them feel. When you’re an athlete, it’s all about you. They cheer you on. When you make music, you cheer them on, provide the soundtrack to their little lives, and all they do is cheer you back to say “Thanks.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“The president is the most powerful man in the world, and it would be great to be him because of that, but really, I could only see myself doing it under my own terms. I think I’d make a better dictator.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“There’s a reason why the Super Bowl is watched way more than the NBA Finals and World Series.”
tags: sports

“I didn’t ask any questions. I didn’t think. The steroids did that for me.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Ex-jocks, like all jocks, never back down from a good fight. Jocks are alphas (or betas, aspiring) and animals.”

“Polarization breeds respect”

“Polarization breeds respect..”

“Polarization breeds respect․”
tags: wisdom

“I could be described, sure, with words like cool guy or, again, cool incarnate, rebel, badass, whatever, but I viewed these as just descriptive words . . . they serviced me; I no longer was defined by any of them, and I no longer sought to become the definition of anything other than myself.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“If you’re tall enough, there’s no good reason you should be a nerd. Unless you’re a nerd that’s kind of a dick, and you start your own company like Bill Gates or the Facebook guy or something, odds are you have a shitty job where you do most of the work and don’t make anything, while a tall former prep is an executive or in sales, which are both easy and primarily just involve taking credit for a nerd’s work, and also make a shitload more money.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“There really is nothing like firsthand knowledge if it’s mine.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Sometimes you can’t help but root for the underdog. Most underdogs are complete losers, though.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Fraternities aren’t cool at all, not in the real, rock-and-roll sense, the one I now knew. They have a reputation of housing douchebags that pay for friends and try to seem better than everyone else, and actually smart, cool people shouldn’t want to be a part of anything like that.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“If I seem better than you, you like me more. If you feel you have no chance with me, you like me more.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Do what you want to do, but don’t try to do anything.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“It’s sort of pathetic to just play other people’s songs all the time, even if you don’t feel like you have the chops to write good music.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Where wealth and status are concerned, shit isn’t supposed to be hard. Ivies are known for “grade inflation”—though there is a lot of work, the reward for a mediocre job at completing it is still usually an A. In any given corporation, the higher the role and pay, the less that person actually does. CEOs who get fired for sucking at their jobs and losing a shit-ton of money are often given multi-million dollar “golden parachutes.” It was kinda the same with this frat; we were the best, so we did the least.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Sex is better than power because people use power to have sex. Sex is better than money because people use money to have power to have sex. Sex is really what motivates people; it’s what makes the world work.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“If people stopped having sex, the world would end in about a hundred years. Think about that shit. If money and power didn’t exist, people would still be fucking.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Being an investment banker is pretty much the perfect job for an all around triple-threat genius, and because I’m doing so well with it, I know I’m actually smarter than certifiable geniuses like Stephen Hawking and Einstein.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Even more than music, rock-and-roll is sex.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“An alpha would never google anyone they lived with.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Fame had kept me from getting laid that night. Fame would make it so other people would bother me, follow me around with cameras, be all up in my shit, keep me from doing what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. Fame could even potentially kill me. It killed a lot of people: John Lennon, Princess Diana, Selena.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“Doing reality TV would have made me more famous than rich, and that would have been awful.”
A.D. Aliwat, Alpha

“It’s not “Why have hamburger when you can have steak?” It’s “I’ll have the filet mignon, rib eye, t-bone, and fuck it, throw a couple of burgers in there too, I guess.” Alphas need variety.”

January 2, 2014 – Started Reading
January 2, 2014 – Shelved
January 2, 2014 –
50.0% "This book is entertaining and thought provoking. For people looking for surface-level entertainment, ALPHA provides a critical lens at which to look at it. For people looking for a self-analysis of America and the prevailing attitude of what is success that many in this country embrace, ALPHA provides the critical context in which to analyze someone who has embraced it with reckless abandon."
January 2, 2014 –
50.0% "This book is entertaining and thought provoking. For people looking for surface-level entertainment, ALPHA serves it on a platter. For people looking for a self-analysis of America and the prevailing attitude of what is success that many in this country embrace, ALPHA provides the critical context in which to analyze someone who has embraced it with reckless abandon."
January 7, 2014 –
January 7, 2014 – Finished Reading
July 28, 2017 – Started Reading
page 132
34.38% "3rd time reading..."
July 29, 2017 –