Melanie Charlesworth's Reviews > Beautiful Failure

Beautiful Failure by Mariah Cole

Beautiful Failure is a very wonderful journey through the painful life of Emerald Anderson. Her mother was more a friend, Emerald's only friend, than a mother. She had her first drink with Leah, her mom, when she was only 14. Leah was a prostitute and must have really hated herself, because she taught Emerald to only be friendly with people that she could get something from. She was encouraged by her mom to lose her virginity when she was 15, because Leah had said to just get it over with. Leah taught Emerald to use her beauty anyway that she could. Basically, Emerald is a hot mess.

Emerald is quickly on the road to nothingness, after losing her mom. She moves in with her grandparents home after failing out of NYU. She can't keep a job for more than two weeks. She finally gets a job at a Starbucks and meets Sarah but soon gets fired at that job to. That is when Sarah tells her about another opportunity at a exclusive job at a gentleman's club two hours away where she earns over $400 a night!

Wanting to escape out of the small town of Blythe, she will do anything to make that kind of money. On her first night working, Carter, a customer that she met while working at Starbucks, personally requests her company. Carter wants her. Emerald has never had a boyfriend, never been on a date and she can't figure out what he wants from her.

“I’ve never just liked anyone before. I’ve always pretended that I did so I could use them for something or get something out of them down the line. I thought that was how it was supposed to be. But with you, I don’t want anything but more of you... I think about you during random times of the day and I really want to call or text you, but I don’t because I’m not sure if that’s right or not...I jump sometimes when you call me at night—literally jump and get excited because I know we’re going to be talking and laughing for hours. And I don’t think I’ve ever lost my smile when you pick me up and take me to and from work. I actually hate when the ride comes to an end. The only thing that makes me smile again is knowing that I’ll be back with you in a matter of hours." - Emerald

I really enjoyed this book. It took a while for things to get started with Carter, but the reader needs that time to get inside of Emerald's head. She has issues. Serious. Issues. She is on the road to self destruction. But as she is forced to take a serious look at her life, she begins to realize how broken she really is. Carter is everything that she needs and it scares the crap out of her. The book ends a bit cliffy, but it is not a straight drop and there isn't a HEA. But that just makes me want to read the next book in the Beautiful series!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Failure.

January 2, 2014 – Shelved