Angie's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

bookshelves: audio, romance, young-adult
Read 2 times. Last read March 2, 2018 to March 9, 2018.

Re-Read Review (2018): I was finally able to convince a family member to read this series so decided to re-read along with her. I must say that it was really tough to slow down and read at her pace, but even for her (a non-reader) it was a page turner. I must say that I really enjoyed this re-read as much as the first time around. My sentiments about the characters are still the same, I absolutely adore Maxon, I enjoy America though her times of doubt really drove me crazy and I really cannot stand Aspen. I did like pin pointing some of my favorite parts of the book (chapters 17 & 18) and I picked up more on the political aspects, which maybe why I enjoy this book and the series so much, because it isn't entirely a romance.

Synopsis: "For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined."

My Review (2016): So I have been planning to read this book for quite a while after seeing so many raving reviews. I downloaded this one (and all the main books) as audio. I planned to listen to one a month until the final book is released in May. Well this book sucked me in like I never expected. I didn't want to stop listening. I honestly can't even tell you why I found it so engrossing. I did like America most of the time, I like that she was rather independent and didn't go along with what the other girls did, but on that same token she was a little wishy washy with regards to Aspen and Maxon. I did thoroughly love Maxon, he is a solid stone of personality throughout the book, I love how every time we see him we learn another tidbit of him. I have a great dislike of Aspen and I have no idea what America even sees in him other than the comfort of the past and all things home. I must say that I am thoroughly engrossed and am jumping into the series with both feet (and ever available reading moment).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

January 2, 2014 – Shelved