Dana's Reviews > The Rule of Thirds

The Rule of Thirds by Chantel Guertin

bookshelves: gratis, young-adult, 2014

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review.

*Contains some spoilers*

What I liked: This book unwaveringly captures the voice of today's teens. I normally am not a fan of "teen slang" but I found myself chuckling at many of the teen inspired phrases. " Short affection span" being my favourite.

This book highlights many of the issues that teenagers have to go through. The relationships between Pippa and those close to her are very accurate and i felt myself transported back to my own time at high-school while reading this book. There are many lessons to be learned from Pippa,her lack of bitterness in the face of betrayal was inspiring.

What i didn't like: Her relationship with Ben made my skin crawl, and while i can understand the impulse to go with the flow, her naivety surrounding Ben and his very obvious motives was disheartening. After her previous relationship with a sketchy guy I was surprised that she thought Ben's actions were acceptable.

What made up for it: Her relationship with Dylan. He was so sweet that by the end of the novel I found myself thoroughly endeared to him. His character was so kind and charming and I liked how he seemed to bring out the best in Pippa and added to her growth in a positive way.

Overall: I would recommend this book. I found it a very enjoyable read and Pippa's character is not only easy to relate to but her strengths are something to strive for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rule of Thirds.

January 2, 2014 – Shelved