Books Ring Mah Bell's Reviews > Galway Bay

Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly

Dec 13, 2009

Read in December, 2009

About 10 pages in, I nearly set this down and walked away for good. Why?

1. Instant true love as the main character sees a man come out of the water (with a boner, no less, cause she's a hottie)

Love at first sight is pure poppycock. I almost threw the book.

2. All the, "I'm from county so and so, next to county so and so, where this famous person lived after coming from county of so and so".
zzzzzzzzzz.

3. All that Irish! I guess I should have looked upon it as a lesson in a part of my heritage (where else did this passion for Guinness come from?) But I had to keep referencing the translations in the back... and I hate that. At least with Spanish I can understand and keep reading, not having to pause to look up a phrase.

I'm very thankful I kept going. The story was very... enchanting. I think that's the perfect word for it. Enchanting.

Love, heartbreak, adventure, trials, tribulations... it was honestly a very interesting book.

The sweet thing is, it touches on some interesting history - the horrors of the potato famine and the civil war - all from the author's personal family history.
(I can't go back that many generations! Jealous!)

Well worth it if you are into Ireland at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galway Bay.

04/07/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 10, 2010 02:59PM) (new)

I'm more Irish than anything else, Bells, so we're kind of cousins. Why did we not drink Guinness together in Chicago? I guess so that there'd have to be a next time!

p.s. A boner in the first ten pages!

message 2: by Books Ring Mah Bell (last edited Jan 10, 2010 05:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Books Ring Mah Bell I think you are my sister from another mister, Tambs.

Can't wait to drink Guinness with you!

Yes, the boner popped up in the first ten pages! I was waiting for it to say, "I'm Penis McGonagle, from county Dong."

But it didn't.

Kevin So glad I read this. I too did the eye roll and was ready to give up after the first 25 pages. I'll keep going. Thank you.