Jaclyn's Reviews > Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home

Dec 13, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction
Read from January 21 to 22, 2010

I wasn't as impressed by this book as I wanted to be. It's a memoir of a time in Rhoda's life when after being left by her husband for another man, she goes home to see her family and recuperate. I went into this not really knowing anything about the Mennonite faith at all, but interested in learning about it. Unfortunatly there was very little of that until I got to the end of the book and found an Appendix where she filled in the blanks. I think I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if she had worked these little tidbits into her memoir, or at worst, directed the reader to them early on. To add to that, although it wasn't painful reading, it was pointless. I didn't feel she had changed, or grown, or anything over the course of the story. It didn't feel to me there was a "lesson" or pivotal point in the story at all, it just kind of ended where it begun. I don't know that I would recommend this book to anyone. I don't feel it was an utter waste of my time, but there are certainly better books out there that I'd rather recommend to people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress.