Nick Brett's Reviews > Command Authority

Command Authority by Tom Clancy

Oh dear, lots of reviews lamenting the loss of Tom Clancy and this, his 'last ever book'. I doubt he had much to do with this at all and stopped writing his books years ago. So the series will continue with his name on it and will be written by other authors as they have been for years.

Although not as good as the last novel he wrote under the Clancy banner, this isn't bad and it is certainly topical. An aggressive Russian leader (Putin in everything but name) is after expansion into it's old States, starting with Ukraine. The story flips between Jack Ryan jr 'following the money' as a financial analyst in London and the current President Jack Ryan as a young man. The two stories will eventually converge of course. The flipping between the two Jacks (both of the same age) was confusing sometimes as was the annoying habit of each time a new chapter started Ryan from the past is described as "CIA Analyst Jack Ryan". It would have been nice to have been credited with the intelligence that, in a book of over 700 pages) we new what he did for a living. There were also a few diagrams in this, perhaps a nod back to Clancy but all of them totally pointless.

But those a minor gripes, author Greaney does well with the pace and certainly the action and he does do Tom Clancy very well. It is no surprise he does the action so well given the quality of his own Gray Man series and I suspect the Clancy Estate will be banging on his door for him to do the next book too. I hope they are successful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Command Authority.

Finished Reading