A Reader's Heaven's Reviews > The Color of Magic

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: Fans of Douglas Adams

I’ve wanted to read Terry Pratchett since I saw a trailer for Hogfather. I was intrigued, but I had to read the book first, and then I had to start at the first book in the Discworld series. But first I had to find it. So reading The Colour of Magic was years in the making. That’s a lot of anticipation to live up to.

When I first started, it wasn’t looking good. Pratchett introduced a few dozen characters, one after another, all with weird names and with the same depth of back-story. There was no strong indication as to which characters were the main characters until about 70 pages in. And even then I wasn’t sure.

After working hard for 70 pages, there was a huge pay off, and it continued to build. I wondered at the randomness of the story that seemed to have no plot, but as I finished it last night, I saw the genius of it all tying together.

Pratchett could be considered moderately unbalanced in his male and female characters. There were only three female characters to speak of, and two spent the entirety of their appearance in the book naked. Although, all three female characters could be argued to be the strongest characters in the book, so perhaps even that complaint is unjustified.

It seems unlikely that the characters I worked hard to get to know in The Colour of Magic will make an appearance in book two in the Discworld series, The Light Fantastic. I’m confident that I’ll have to start all over again getting to know new characters. It looks like loving Pratchett’s writing isn’t going to get any easier.

It’s almost as though I haven’t read a book at all, but had one of those strange late-night conversations with a friend that results in the most peculiar inside jokes. I would say it’s like reading Douglas Adams in that way, only I wouldn’t like you to think Pratchett is anything like Douglas Adams because each one is in a universe entirely by himself. Only, this bizarre feeling when I finished the book like I haven’t read a book at all, is consistent with how I felt after reading Adams.

Reading The Colour of Magic was hard work and required concentration, but it was well worth it. Even now I’m not completely sure what happened. The ambiguity is refreshing, although my head is spinning; I think I prefer it to an author who bangs you over the head with explanation. Overall, I found The Colour of Magic a unique and enjoyable read.

Jo
ARH

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color of Magic.

January 1, 2014 – Started Reading