R.'s Reviews > Oryx and Crake

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Oct 22, 2007

bookshelves: 2007

1. The novelization of Talking Heads' Fear of Music.

2. Not a little of Neil Patrick Harris circa Starship Troopers in Crake.

3. He'd been unhappy too, of course. It went without saying, his unhappiness. He'd put a lot of energy into it. (pgs. 71-72)

4. Docked a WHOLE STAR for that vague-ass ending. Up to that point, that last page, it was a five star read.

5. Sadly, Alex the parrot died in Sept. 2007: Alex died quickly. He had a sudden, unexpected catastrophic event associated with arterosclerosis ("hardening of the arteries"). It was either a fatal arrhythmia, heart attack or stroke, which caused him to die suddenly with no suffering. There was no way to predict his demise. All of his tests, including his cholesterol level and asper levels, came back normal earlier that week. His death could not be connected to his current diet or his age; our veterinarian said that she has seen similar events in young (<10 year old) birds on healthy diets. Most likely, genetics or the same kind of low-level (impossible to detect in birds as yet) inflammatory disease that is related to heart disease in humans was responsible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oryx and Crake.

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 10: by R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

R. Alex the parrot, a real-life persona, is in the book.

Julian Novelization of Talking Heads' Fear of Music is a perfect description of this book.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

the Neil Patrick Harris observation is just what I was thinking throughout the entire book.

Martinxo agree about the ending. Nice Talking Heads ref

Amanda The vague ending is meant to be a cliff-hanger, so we'll read the second book!

Alberteinsteinmaloney Read The Year of the Flood and you might be tempted to un-dock that fifth star.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Sure, Year of the Flood answered questions. Also created a whole new cliff of its own though.

Love the Talking Heads analogy

message 3: by R. (new) - rated it 4 stars

R. Alberteinsteinmaloney - apologies for the delay of, ah, 2 years in this response...Goodreads failed to notify me that anybody had commented here beyond 2009...so, Year of the Flood it is...

Jungle - thank you! but, so one reaches the end of Year of the Flood and walks right into yet another cliffhanger, eh? Oh, that Margaret Atwood.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! Another cliffhanger

*cries*

Not quite as bad as the last one, but still quite unsatisfactory. I found the first one twee but the second one felt a bit like being held to ransom to read the (eventual) third instalment.

Eventually I will tire of this - I believe that there are only so many cliffhangers one can endure before annoyance sets in:-)

Spacedaisie I pictured NPH as Crake all the way through! (And Gordon Joseph Levitt as Jimmy; Bruce Willis as Snowman. Why not? It's been done before.)