Christine's Reviews > The Marriage Spell

The Marriage Spell by Mary Jo  Putney

Dec 12, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, cross-genre, romance

I've been reading a lot of romance lately, but my first love is still fantasy, sow hen I ran across this author who does both, I was excited. Maybe I should have started with a different book of hers, but I was remarkably unimpressed. This was not a true blending of genres, but rather a romance novel set against an ill-conceived magical backdrop. The alternative reality was unconvincing and the magic was almost unnecessary. The characters were poorly drawn. This was pretty silly. One of these days, I'm going to find some real paranormal/fantasy romance -- something that makes real use of magic without sexy vampires and still manages to be a lovely romantic story. This was not it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Spell.

message 1: by Liz B (new)

Liz B Have you read Mercedes Lackey's "The Fairy Godmother"? I don't care for her other books for Luna, but I enjoyed that one a lot. Also, some of her Elemental Masters books were very enjoyable. (Others not so much.) I especially liked "Phoenix and Ashes."

Not so coincidentally, both of those books are Cinderella retellings. I'm a sucker for those.

Christine Me too! I'll definitely have to look those up. I've read through a lot of her books but those don't sound familiar.