Martina Clark's Reviews > Boat Girl: A Memoir of Youth, Love & Fiberglass

Boat Girl by Melanie Neale

19895472

Having spent some time crewing on sailboats in my own misspent young, I picked up the memoir Boat Girl because it looked fun. I kept reading because the story drew me in. I couldn’t put it down because it was just that good. Starting from when she was still in her mother’s belly, Ms. Neale tells us the story of how she and a sailboat were born – or perhaps built? – at the same time and grew up together. She spent the first 19 years of her life living aboard her parent’s sailboat Chez Nous along with her sister as they cruised the East Coast of the US, the Bahamas and other parts of the Caribbean. Sailing is in her bones and even as her life evolved when she reached adulthood, her spirit is still clearly tied to her life on the water. We get a rare insiders glimpse at life aboard a sailboat from the perspective of a child. Homeschooled and with a very different socialization than most American kids, Ms. Neale and her sister find other ways to make friends and form relationships. If you’ve ever considered taking your family cruising on a sailboat, or even going by yourself, or simply want to escape a landlocked life and adventure through the high seas for a few hundred pages, this book is the ticket. Beautifully written and heartfelt, it’s all about the journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boat Girl.

Finished Reading