Melanie Cusick-Jones's Reviews > Fangirl

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

7198950
Dec 29, 2016

bookshelves: 2016, bedside-table-challenge-2016

I remember reading a review of this by Becky at Blog of a Bookaholic and I quite liked the idea of the story. When I stood in WHSmith waiting to fly out to Florida in the summer, looking for another book to complete my 3 for 2 offer, I saw this and thought 'why not'?

And then, I carried it to the US and back without reading it and placed it into the dreaded bedside table, where it ultimately became part of my challenge to clear out that book eating piece of furniture.

I really enjoyed Fangirl, not always for the storyline, which sometimes was a bit slow for me - but I loved Cather (although I wished she'd gone for Cath and Erin for the twins over Cather and Wren - it just reminded me of the word catheter, which isn't a great connection to make). I think Rowell wrote a very believable story about an introverted character's experience of going to university and particularly the thought-processes of a writer. There were things that Cath says in the book, which I can only assume link about to how Rowell feels about writing herself - and they could have been thoughts from my own head.

So, it wasn't really the 'fangirl' elements of Fangirl I liked the most - it was reading about a writer, writing about what they read. The correlation between reading and writing, along with the experience of being a writer, was what I loved about this book. Probably not what was aimed at, or what most people will like about it, but that was what did it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fangirl.

January 1, 2014 – Shelved
January 1, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 22, 2016 – Started Reading
December 22, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
December 22, 2016 – Shelved as: bedside-table-challenge-2016
December 22, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 22, 2016 –
page 85
18.52% "Ha ha, Cath at college feels very familiar to me... (sans Simon Snow obviously)"
December 29, 2016 – Finished Reading