Megan's Reviews > The Letters

The Letters by Suzanne Woods Fisher

it was ok
bookshelves: christian-fiction, amish, read-in-2014, 50-states-challenge, review-books, us-pennsylvania

I felt extremely lost when I started this book. There were so many characters and they weren't introduced very well that I thought I had somehow misread and this was a sequel. So it was a struggle to get into the story.

Once I finally worked out who was who it got a little better, but there was a lot of repetitive thoughts and comments that I personally found boring.

I loved how the story was focused on a widow who's in her thirties and her family (mother-in-law, step-children, and her own children). So many Amish books seem to be about young people and their journey to find love, which is nice but can get tiring. The POV switched between several different women, which was nice to get several generations' viewpoints.

I'm planning on reading the second novel, The Calling, and am hoping it will be a more enjoyable read since I'll know who most of the characters are already.

If you love Amish fiction you'll probably enjoy reading The Letters, but if you are looking to get into the genre I would suggest you try a different book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Letters.

December 31, 2013 – Shelved