Duane's Reviews > Time and Again

Time and Again by Jack Finney

bookshelves: 2014-book-challenge, rated-books, reviewed-books, time-travel, historical-fiction

I thourghly enjoyed this book. I love historical fiction, time travel, adventure, and a little romance. It makes a perfect combination. Add the wonderful imagination of Jack Finney and you have a literary treat. The concept of time travel in this story is so natural and realistic that it becomes almost beliveable, it only requires imagination, the right setting, and faith. My favorite thing about the novel though was the imagery created of 1882 New York City. I can see why New Yorkers love this book. Reading it you almost have the feeling of being there with tree lined streets, no tall buildings, no automobiles; seeing horses pulling carriages, slieghs, and buses. No spoilers from me though, to enjoy the story of Si and Julia you will have to read the book. It's time travel at it's best. 4.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time and Again.

December 31, 2013 – Shelved
March 15, 2014 – Shelved as: reviewed-books
March 15, 2014 – Shelved as: time-travel
March 15, 2014 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
March 15, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Sherry Duane: Time and Again looks interesting! I picked it up today and will start it soon.

Duane I'm just starting it myself and it has good reviews. Time travel genre has always been entertaining for me dating back to H.G. Wells The Time Machine.

Sherry I love NY. I just finished reading Empty Mansions which is partially set in NY. Even if you prefer fiction, you might find that nonfiction book very interesting (and almost stranger than fiction). It covers a great deal of time between the daughter and her father. It was a good and quick read.

Duane Yes, I took a look, it does sound interesting. I will add it to my ever expanding reading list. Loving NY you might like Edith Wharton. She made a career of writing about NY, fiction and nonfiction. Her three "New York novels", The Age of Innocence, The House of Mirth, and The Custom of the Country, give a wonderful insight into New York society during the late 19th, early 20th centiry.

Sherry I'll check those out. Thanks!

Sherry Oh! We're at the same place!

message 7: by Duane (last edited Mar 07, 2014 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Duane I'm gaining momentum. Enjoying the detailed description of 1882 New York and people.The pace of the story is picking up.

Sherry I really like the descriptions too. I'm sad I have such a jammed pack weekend and I won't have any time to read!! I'll have to catch up next week.

message 9: by Renata (new) - added it

Renata A pleasure to read your review of one of my all time favorite "charming" books. I've read it several times, once aloud on a camping trip w my husband- it's a classic!

Carol One of my all-time favorites Duane. I'm so glad to read your enthusiastic review.

Angela M Duane , this is my favorite time travel book . Glad you loved it too . Terrific review. The sequel was good but not as good as this .