C.G. Drews's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, read-2014, young-adult

I always finish a Stephanie Perkin books thinking, "N'aaaawwww. CAN IT GET ANYMORE FREAKING ADORABLE?" Seriously I'm not a I-love-romance reader typically (I do like it, though, I just prefer action adventures) and so far I get to the middle of a book in this series and sniff and think, "Meh" but by the end I'm a mess of hyperventilating emotions.

DA FEELS MAN.

Cricket + Lola =
description

(view spoiler)

Characters? Oh gosh, the characters are dazzling. I'm wowed by how DIFFERENT everyone is! Seriously, we get to know everyone inside and out. Lola has a million levels, and I loved the adorableness of Cricket. I even loved Cricket and Calliope. I mean, she was stuck in Lola's mind as the "mean girl". But she was and she wasn't, you know? I think she needed to lighten up, but I LOVED the closeness of the twins, Cricket and Calliope. Although, I have to ask, Cricket?? Seriously. It is the cutest name of ever, but it's just so...weird. But I'm totally in love with the name now of course. (Er *cough* just the name, of course.)

And omg, I looooved the Anna and Etienne cameo!! If I'm going to be strictly honest, I DID prefer Anna and the French Kiss . Why? I think I connected to Anna better. Anna is sensible and tidy. Lola is messy and outgoing. (Which is awesome how differently written they are and yet each SO detailed.) So it's kind of a personality reason that I just liked Anna more. Also Anna was in France. I love France. (Nope, never been, but I want to sooo badly.) But Anna and Etienne are sooo stinkin' cute together. None of the angst that filled Anna's book, so MHWA. MARRY THESE TWO RIGHT NOW.

The description is mind-blowing. This book relies pretty heavily on description, and it's not the gluey kind. The description is alive and sweetly awesome. I saw all of Lola's costumes. I'd love to see this as a movie, for the visual effects.

I also loved the message of: be yourself even if yourself isn't perfect. And: make beautiful things JUST BECAUSE. I mean, I bet there were many messages in here, but I loved these ones particularly. Like this quote:
"Just because something isn't practical doesn't mean it's not worth creating." Huzzah! YAY. I love that so much.

My only real pet peeve is how naive Lola seemed. I mean, she wasn't naive around her boyfriend, she was just childlike about...life. Feelings. It was weird, because I expected her to be SO mature since her boyfriend, Max, was 22. But she acted like a teen the whole time. Maybe that was the point, though?

Lola and the Boy Next Door is beautiful and glitzy and captivating. It's a fair mixture of teenage angst and love and a lot of dangerous acrobatics of climbing through windows. Cool. I like that.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Stephanie Perkins
“I don't believe in fashion. I believe in costume. Life is too short to be same person every day.”
Stephanie Perkins, Lola and the Boy Next Door

December 31, 2013 – Shelved
December 31, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
March 21, 2014 – Started Reading
March 21, 2014 –
page 75
19.53% "I had such a SQUEEE moment when Anna made a cameo. ^.^"
March 21, 2014 –
page 177
46.09% "I hate to admit this...buuuut, I ship Cricket and Lola. Also: "Lola Nolan" is a fantastic name and I LOVE saying it. Rolls off the tongue. Loooola Noooolan."
March 22, 2014 – Shelved as: 4-star
March 22, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary
March 22, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
March 22, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 22, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Pickle Okay so HOW romantic is Anna and the French Kiss? Because I hate icky sicky sweet garbage romance, but I've heard a bit about this book and was wondering.

C.G. Drews Weelll...(gosh you're asking me hard questions these days!! xD lol) It IS a chick flick romance. Sooooo... I liked it. ;)

message 3: by Bre (new) - added it

Bre honestly I am so torn about this book. I totally agree with you about Lola's attitude when she was with Max. I was seriously struck by her...comment on how sex hurted for her. It honestly made me feel sad and uncomfortable for her.
I mean there are good parts! I loved her dads and really could understand their emotions when it came to Lola and Max.
I don't think I will read this again. have your opinions changed since you read this book?

C.G. Drews @Bre: I still love the book. :)

Rissi LOVED 'Anna,' so I'm looking forward to read this one as well. :)