Savannah- Quad Motherin' Book Readin' Diva's Reviews > Choices

Choices by Tammy Williams

liked it

Dammit! This book was SO close to a four star for me. I'd honestly give it a 3.5 if I could.

Thing is, it has everything I look for in a good, straight romance novel. Everything. HOWEVER, what keeps it from getting a four or even a five is the fact that it also has the one thing I cannot stand in IR. The focus on race was WAY overboard.

Tammie Williams has a real talent with dialog and setting a tone. I loved the interactions and conversations between Lara and Ryan. This is the kind of interplay I get into because I can actually understand why each of these people falls for the other. There is plenty of laughter and they are both open to the feelings each inspires in the other. No game playing, no ridiculous hiding. I dig that. But for the love of books, I kept wanting to check the copyright date because the race issue played more like something written at least as far back as the 80's. Way too much talk about stares and whispers and literally EVERY person in their lives questions if they can "handle it" or flat out disapproves. I can understand family raising a brow, especially if you've never dated outside your race. But to literally have every person that had any interaction with the two of them behaving as though they were trying interspecies dating instead of just interracial was a bit much. I think I recall the setting as being South Carolina, but honestly? Good grief. Just overboard. It read like overkill after a while, even though Williams manages to give the reader enough romance and sweetness to keep you reading.

Suprisingly, it almost read a bit innocent in that there is zero bad language and they held off on the sex so long I thought I'd stumbled into a Christian read. Its in there though, for what its worth if that's a deal breaker for you.

Overall, I'll say a very strong 3 and a good recommendation. It held my attention and I could even see reading this again in the future. I'm just pissed that the race overkill kept it from perfection for me. Its not often I find an IR that really captures my interest and hits all the right buttons for me, so that makes it harder to swallow the race thing being overplayed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choices.

December 30, 2013 – Shelved