Terry Clague's Reviews > Belching Out the Devil: Global Adventures with Coca-Cola

Belching Out the Devil by Mark     Thomas

2002725
Dec 10, 2009

I've been putting off reading this book since it was released. I've long admitted that it's Coca-Cola's branding which makes us want to drink it - the taste is certainly nothing to write home about. What they do so spectacularly well is to get a hook into people's emotions: buying a coke often is all about half-forgotten memories of childhood rather than anything else.

Reading this book has confirmed my worries about them as an operation. Anyone who spends so many dollars on branding sugary flavoured sparkling water is not to be trusted. Mark Thomas manages to raise a decent number of laughs, but also an appropriate level of anger by reminding the reader what they probably already either knew, half knew or suspected: Coca Cola are involved with people and organizations who murder trade unionists, employ young children for hard labour, uses operations in India which remove water from local people, and force competitors into the ground by any means to maintain ludicrous profitability.

So, stop drinking Coca Cola. Read this book. Fight the power. Twaw ever thus.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belching Out the Devil.

Started Reading